Leveraging a raise out of a job offer

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I have been doing a lot of research on this topic. It is really hard to find information on going about this in the aviation industry though. I was wondering how to approach my boss with a meeting without sounding like I am threatening to leave. Also, as I took on new captain duties, how to ask for a raise because of that. The amount I am going to request is partially based on my offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you go down this road, you must be 100% willing to take the offer.

However, I believe it is straightforward: I like this job, and I like working for you, but I have an offer to go fly XXX airplane for XXX money. Because I like this job and like working for you, I wanted to give you an opportunity to beat their offer (note: not match).

That isn't a "threat to leave" per se, but it could be construed as such because you have made it clear you have an offer to leave and any reasonable person will understand that you asking him to beat your offer is tantamount to "If you don't, I'm out."

Because that's exactly what it is and should be.

As for a raise for being PIC...PIC has legal responsibility per FARs and should be compensated for that responsibility. If your boss doesn't understand that - in this pilot hiring environment of all things - you should vote with your feet.
Quote: If you go down this road, you must be 100% willing to take the offer.

However, I believe it is straightforward: I like this job, and I like working for you, but I have an offer to go fly XXX airplane for XXX money. Because I like this job and like working for you, I wanted to give you an opportunity to beat their offer (note: not match).

That isn't a "threat to leave" per se, but it could be construed as such because you have made it clear you have an offer to leave and any reasonable person will understand that you asking him to beat your offer is tantamount to "If you don't, I'm out."

Because that's exactly what it is and should be.

As for a raise for being PIC...PIC has legal responsibility per FARs and should be compensated for that responsibility. If your boss doesn't understand that - in this pilot hiring environment of all things - you should vote with your feet.
Dittos...BoilerUp is right on.
Hey Lear333, How'd the convo go with your boss? I'm in the same situation.
Quote: Hey Lear333, How'd the convo go with your boss? I'm in the same situation.
The current boss did not match and said he could hire cheaper, job offer fell through cause someone said he could do it for the second income. 😂
Quote: The current boss did not match and said he could hire cheaper, job offer fell through cause someone said he could do it for the second income. 😂
Where in South Florida do you live?
Quote: The current boss did not match and said he could hire cheaper, job offer fell through cause someone said he could do it for the second income. 😂
That's a bummer.. so you ended up staying with your current employer?
Quote: That's a bummer.. so you ended up staying with your current employer?
Hahaha it was a joke man
Quote: That's a bummer.. so you ended up staying with your current employer?
Look at who originated the thread.
Quote: Look at who originated the thread.
How do you know it's a joke? I could not imagine anyone posting any joke question. This place is for pilots helping pilots. Not a waste of time joke!
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to