My father is retiring

Subscribe
After 40+ years in the aviation industry my dad is retiring as a captain with a major airline. It would be great for him to get a water cannon salute but he said they no longer do that due to the cost. At a minimum it would be great to meet him at the gate but with security being what it is I doubt it would be possible to get a gate pass for a few family members. Any recommendations/advice to make sure he's seen off appropriately! Thanks!
Quote: After 40+ years in the aviation industry my dad is retiring as a captain with a major airline. It would be great for him to get a water cannon salute but he said they no longer do that due to the cost. At a minimum it would be great to meet him at the gate but with security being what it is I doubt it would be possible to get a gate pass for a few family members. Any recommendations/advice to make sure he's seen off appropriately! Thanks!

Caution: Many retiring Captains do not want any fuss on their last flight, but only put up with it because their family wants it. Ask him.
Quote: Caution: Many retiring Captains do not want any fuss on their last flight, but only put up with it because their family wants it. Ask him.
Good point! I am retiring from AA in a few months and I don't want fuss! I might even skip my last flight. But that being said you should go on his last trip if he is cool with it. You could just buy a ticket. You could call the CP and I bet he would have ideas and would help you out as needed. I have seen some smaller city's give the water cannon.
Water canon depends on airline policy and individual airport policy. Call either the chief pilot, and/or the local airport fire department to inquire. You can easily call the local tower and advise them, they will pass along congratulations as he is coming in to land. If international, you can also call the controlling facility (Gander, Oakland, etc.) and have them send a congratulations message enroute.
Appreciate the advice. Blue skies.
I retired recently.
No water canon, no nothing. Just walked out and never looked back.
Bought a boat, running charters in South Florida.
No fuzz.