34 y/0 with family looking to make a career?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Quote: Thanks for the the insight I will take it to heart. I'm truly getting discouraged about pursuing this career when it's seems everyone's comments on an aviation career are always so negative aside from yours hence the rotor reference. Once again thanks for taking the time to reply and offering the helpful insight.
Before you get too discouraged consider this - the median guy at the major airlines have probably been flying professional for about 30 years.
If it's so bad why does 2/3's of our seniority list have 25+ yrs of flying experience?
If it's so bad why do guys stay?
If it's so bad why do guys come back after a 10 yr furlough to sit reserve and have to commute on top of it?
If it's so bad why do guys not quit who have side businesses?
If it's so bad why do so few quit? In 30+ years I've advanced 3% closer to the top as guys senior and younger to me have quit, died, or gotten fired. That's 1% every decade. Most were fired or died. I don't know of any that quit.
If it's that bad why do we have threads about guys who are trying to get back into flying after 5, 10, 15, or 20 years in a non-flying job?
Quote: Before you get too discouraged consider this - the median guy at the major airlines have probably been flying professional for about 30 years.
If it's so bad why does 2/3's of our seniority list have 25+ yrs of flying experience?
If it's so bad why do guys stay?
If it's so bad why do guys come back after a 10 yr furlough to sit reserve and have to commute on top of it?
If it's so bad why do guys not quit who have side businesses?
If it's so bad why do so few quit? In 30+ years I've advanced 3% closer to the top as guys senior and younger to me have quit, died, or gotten fired. That's 1% every decade. Most were fired or died. I don't know of any that quit.
If it's that bad why do we have threads about guys who are trying to get back into flying after 5, 10, 15, or 20 years in a non-flying job?
I'm not discouraged after doing some further research I have decided to proceed with the degree and training while trying to keep my student debt to a minimum. I am considering a different flight school possibly one with a cheaper price but I also want great training I don't want to only know how to pass check rides I want to understand and know the material. Thank you very much for that response and positive outlook on the career.
Quote: I'm not discouraged after doing some further research I have decided to proceed with the degree and training while trying to keep my student debt to a minimum. I am considering a different flight school possibly one with a cheaper price but I also want great training I don't want to only know how to pass check rides I want to understand and know the material. Thank you very much for that response and positive outlook on the career.
Just remember, that the big(and expensive) schools are often the ones who only teach you to pass checkrides.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to