Prairie Air Service

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to
How is the multi time building? They advertise $80 hour....assuming that is shared??
Quote: If you don't have thick skin, then don't go to PAS. Herb is not known for his calm and cool demeanor at times. if you mess up (more importantly, keep messing up) he will let you know. I must give him credit though. He knows his stuff.
True...I had already been through Parris Island before my time there. Herb was a *****cat compared to that. He's Austrian...that is part of his background. To me he never really was a screamer...just a little lecture at a slightly higher Db rating. I was usually more ****ed at myself for messing up anyway so it didn't matter.
Quote: How is the multi time building? They advertise $80 hour....assuming that is shared??
I think the website addressed that. I believe it's shared and includes an instructor riding mostly(except for t/o and landing) in the back for insurance purposes.
Just curious I know a few of you were thinking about visiting PAS. Was wondering your thoughts? Impression?
Its been awhile for this post but maybe this will get it back up and going......Im ready to start my multi rating and some time building (about 50hrs)...My sister lives just south of Wichita and I have a friend that lives just south of Ft. Peirce. So I could stay wit either of them to save the cost of a room. With that said one of these places could be my ticket PAS or Ari Ben, which would you go to?
PAS... without a doubt.
PAS is a great place to learn, Herb will hook you up. I have never heard anything negative about their program. Benton is a pretty cool little airport, a former Raytheon test pilot sells Husky's there, and there are a lot of classic planes etc. on the field. I think it warrants a visit, Wichita is close by and there are things to do when not flying. Plus, you can check out the GA capitol of the world while your here (Beech, historical buildings; Cessna, the new service center is awesome; Learjet, well, it's owned by Canadians so it's not too cool ).
I am resurrecting this thread to get some current information on Prairie Air Service. From what I can gather trolling the internet everyone has good things to say about them and Herb is said to be a really good instructor. On the phone he sounds really nice, but I have read that he can be rough on students. If anyone could give me information on how their training with Herb went, what living with them was like and anything else you think is important please let me know.

My email is [email protected]
Paul
I did my single Comm & CFI training there about 12 years ago. I didn't do any of my training with Herb, however, I did stay there at his place. Good people. Dinner is with the family. They had a freezer full of frozen pizzas/hot pockets/etc for you to eat during lunch or as a snack. They used to have a lot of intl students. I remember they all complained about how hard he was on them. However, they also would say he was a great instructor. It's pretty much Herb's way or the highway. The DE they used back then was a really laid back guy. Not sure if they have the same DE. Well maintained a/c (including the apache geranimo for ME training). I'm not sure if he allowed students to rent the multi, however, that may have changed. If you're near that area (KS), PAS is a good choice. Good luck.
PAS is a quality mom and pop school, it specializes in foreign students but locals are welcome. Herb is a top notch instructor although he does require a thick skin at times. I highly approve of his teaching. He has solid ideas and cockpit flows based on decades of study and practice. I have had instructors give dogmatic ideas based on very little theory and even sometimes incorrect theory, and I find it easier to study with those who base what they teach on open and enthusiastic discussion based on open sources, with lots of experience. That's what you are getting with Herb if you are open to it.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to