Joined APC: Jul 2016
Default Noise Canceling Headsets

I will be commuting, Ok go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Strike averted!

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: B737

I found the company issued headsets are just barely adequate. I used the same kind in a Citation, but I found the 737 to be much louder. I've since been using my 15 year old Bose X and keep the company set in my bag.

I've come across pilots using all kinds of Bose, DC, etc.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

I love my Clarity Aloft. A little chunky to carry in its case, but very comfortable to fly with.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

What about the uflymike. I called today and they are sched to be tso'd later this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

SWAPA has a deal with Bose for rebate of $125 for non-BT A20 and $150 for BT version. It's not tied to a merchant, so you can finance it through Amazon Prime interest-free for a year if you don't want to pay the full amount right away.

I got my rebate check just shy of 3 weeks after purchasing mine.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

I have worn Bose headsets in a previous life on much longer legs in a similar noisy airplane.
The noise canceling can't be beat. You are in a cone of silence. The reason that I actually prefer the company provided headset at SWA is the Bose would give me a headache after about 2 hours. It is definitely a personal preference. If the clamp headset style doesn't bother you, it is absolutely worth it. I just can't get past the weight and pressure it puts on your head.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: 737 CA

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
I have worn Bose headsets in a previous life on much longer legs in a similar noisy airplane.
The noise canceling can't be beat. You are in a cone of silence. The reason that I actually prefer the company provided headset at SWA is the Bose would give me a headache after about 2 hours. It is definitely a personal preference. If the clamp headset style doesn't bother you, it is absolutely worth it. I just can't get past the weight and pressure it puts on your head.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Bose X. I used those as well in a previous AF life and agree it would get uncomfortable after hours of flying. I'll just say the Bose A20s have never left me with that clamped feeling. They're expensive but the way I saw it was, I'll be on average using it 13+ days a month, so it's probably worth the investment. 3 years later, and I still have no regrets.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Burton78 View Post
I'm assuming you're referring to the Bose X. I used those as well in a previous AF life and agree it would get uncomfortable after hours of flying. I'll just say the Bose A20s have never left me with that clamped feeling. They're expensive but the way I saw it was, I'll be on average using it 13+ days a month, so it's probably worth the investment. 3 years later, and I still have no regrets.

It was the A10. I know the 20 is a bit lighter. I agree that it is a quality piece of gear and Bose customer support is amazing. If I were to get another one, I would definitely buy from them.
I had my A10 refurbished and I swear it was a new one that they sent me. They offered a loaner in the meantime. Great quality, great people.
My headaches started with the old style D.C. Headset and I was hoping the Bose would cure it. It was marginally better, but I still couldn't quite get rid of it. It doesn't help that my head is a melon on a toothpick.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: 737 CA
Default Noise Canceling Headsets

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
It was the A10. I know the 20 is a bit lighter. I agree that it is a quality piece of gear and Bose customer support is amazing. If I were to get another one, I would definitely buy from them.
I had my A10 refurbished and I swear it was a new one that they sent me. They offered a loaner in the meantime. Great quality, great people.
My headaches started with the old style D.C. Headset and I was hoping the Bose would cure it. It was marginally better, but I still couldn't quite get rid of it. It doesn't help that my head is a melon on a toothpick.

Ha. Yeah. I guess I have a bit of a pin head as I've never had a problem with A20s. Despite my somewhat narrow skull, the old school David Clarks, even with the "comfort kit" still felt like my head was in a vice after a few hours . Some people seem to like the new DC pro X's though. To the OP's question, Headsets are so highly subjective, no-one can really pick for you. Just dive in and see which one suits you the best. The most common that I've seen on the line, along with the company issued Telex, are the Bose A20s, DC Pro X (both have the Bluetooth feature) and a handful of Clarity Aloft.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

I thought uflymike was ok now at swa? Heard you got rid of the TSO deal? true?