Another thread about tipping....

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Do you tip housekeeping at hotels? If you read travel sites they say 2-3 dollars per night is acceptable, although I have never heard of anyone doing it. Does anyone here leave a few dollars in the hotel room?
I remember reading somewhere that the housekeepers dont go to the room first, the manager does? some housekeeper commented that on facebook and said the housekeepers never see the tips.
Quote: Do you tip housekeeping at hotels? If you read travel sites they say 2-3 dollars per night is acceptable, although I have never heard of anyone doing it. Does anyone here leave a few dollars in the hotel room?
No, I just try to not live like a dirty slob, its not hard. That is probably enough for the housekeepers that have to deal with all sorts of crazy stuff. I don't believe the above post, I spend lots of time in hotels and have never seen "managers" going into rooms first to "collect tips", but I've never heard of giving tips in hotels either. I'm kind of paying all that $$$ in the first place for the room and housekeeping.
It's customary at high-dollar five-star hotels. Not so much at the La Quinta.
Yeah, i read that the managers went in first on facebook..... so it must be true
Quote: Do you tip housekeeping at hotels? If you read travel sites they say 2-3 dollars per night is acceptable, although I have never heard of anyone doing it. Does anyone here leave a few dollars in the hotel room?
I usually leave $2, and change, if I happen to have any. For two reasons: It probably improves their day, and hopefully it leaves the idea that airline employees are good folks.

And I seriously doubt it is anyone other than the housekeeper going in first, particularly because often times they're knocking on the door to come in, or waiting outside when we leave in the afternoon.
If I'm staying multiple days and I have them clean my room while I'm still going to be there, then I leave a tip. It often results in noticeably better service (extra water/mints, coffee, etc). Also, maybe less chance of the remote or glasses getting wiped with the cleaning rag used on the toilet or shower (as seen on some of the hotel horror news reports).

I look at tips as appreciation for a service done well for me pesonally, like a waiter, limo driver, room service, laundry delivery, etc.

In one day and out the next, the housekeeper is cleaning the room for the next guest. There's no guarantee that maid is the same one who cleaned the room before I got there. There is a point where one is simply expected to do their job and housekeeping isn't really a commonly tipped job.
Quote: If I'm staying multiple days and I have them clean my room while I'm still going to be there, then I leave a tip. It often results in noticeably better service (extra water/mints, coffee, etc). Also, maybe less chance of the remote or glasses getting wiped with the cleaning rag used on the toilet or shower (as seen on some of the hotel horror news reports).
You use the coffee maker in the room? Talk about hotel horror story...
What's the filthiest thing in a hotel room?
Quote: You use the coffee maker in the room? Talk about hotel horror story...
Meh....most these days are the single cup variety with mostly disposable parts (or french press or expresso makers in some of the international hotels). Hell, I still drink the coffee from the airplane water.

Whatever they have, I'm of the opinion that it's a good idea to give your immune system a little workout every once in a while. But that's just me..... a proud member of the drink from the garden hose as a kid generation.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to