CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Subscribe
9  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  29  69 
Page 19 of 83
Go to
Quote: ...but would you take an underpaid government job over flying for a major? You're comparing the worst pay/schedules in an airline career to a government job where your pay and schedules won't get that much better over time....
Yes.....
Quote: Yes.....
Well, you also decided to join the department of the navy, so the judgment is already in question. At least you joined the men’s department though

All joking aside, I got tired of living out of a suitcase and was happy to get back in the military and take a break from the airline grind. Every job has its pros/cons, and airline life can be as frustrating as any other job. Everyone’s situation is different, and luckily there are different flying jobs for everyone’s preference and family situation. But every time I’m dealing with government BS, I remember why I quit the first time.

The pension, healthcare, and security sure is nice though.
Quote: Well, you also decided to join the department of the navy, so the judgment is already in question. At least you joined the men’s department though

All joking aside, I got tired of living out of a suitcase and was happy to get back in the military and take a break from the airline grind. Every job has its pros/cons, and airline life can be as frustrating as any other job. Everyone’s situation is different, and luckily there are different flying jobs for everyone’s preference and family situation. But every time I’m dealing with government BS, I remember why I quit the first time.

The pension, healthcare, and security sure is nice though.
Concur 100% BN!
Quote: OP Quote: "Let’s see, work all month 5 on / 2 off for a max of 8 days off each month? Airlines guarantee 13+ days off each month. OAM is going to making you do LEAP standby on your days off (illegal) and then you can’t be unavailable."

I drank the same Koolaid. Of those 13+ days off per month, plan on spending your day off commuting home and a day off commuting back to work. Then there are the times where you are involuntarily extended and lets not forget the winter cancellations and you are stuck in your base. Those 13+ days quickly dwindle down to 4 days, but at least its not all the time. There is no consistency and your body pays the price for that. Many rotor transition guys figured this out pretty quick and bailed. If you live in base, that takes some of the pain away, but it's still pain. I'll take an underpaid government job any day over flying for a regional.
Someone didn’t do their homework and apparently failed bidding 101. Not sure how you would end up with a schedule where every single one of your commutes is on your days off. I typically have 16-18 days off a month and hardly ever commute on my day off. This month I have 21 days off.

Quote: I have found that the airlines are not a fit for me and I am going to go back to flying helicopters. Has anyone considered the same? If you have any info on who is hiring (non-CFI work), please post the information in this forum.

Thanks.
Not sure if you’ve even been hired as an AIA but if you have please come back in a couple years and let us all know how great it is. Enjoy that unpaid move to your first duty location where you’ll have 8 days off a month. At least you won’t have to commute!

BTW since you like kool-aid perhaps you can volunteer to be a recruiter. You already know how to twist the facts.
Pepper spray
Do I have to get pepper sprayed again at the academy? Looks like pilots don't carry spray regularly. If so, anyone heard of medical waivers for corrective eye surgery guys?

I see there is a 1.5 mile run at the academy, which is fine I guess...if you like running... Are there annual, or some sort of recurring PT standards that I will have to conduct throughout my career as an AIA? In other words, when I'm pushing my late 50s towards the end of my career, do they still expect my old ass to be conducting running tests?

Thanks in advance!
They are quoting me about the MAXIMUM 8 days off per month at CBP. From time to time we were put in Standby or forced to work our LEAP period. It is happening in Miami again.

I personally work 17 days on, 15 off and have never been extended. Between several “guaranteed days off” and absolutely justifiable fatigue calls, extensions really are voluntary.

As far as comparing time off from CBP to my airline:
I just completed a month where I worked 4 days for training only and then spent the rest of the month of April OFF. Look forward to June where I have qualified to take the entire month off....but wait ....there is more! After taking off nearly all of May, all of June, I believe with careful bidding I may work (I said WORK) 8 days of July, maybe less. I know 60 days in advance what my work days are, and I have nearly 100% control of when I am off.

The CBP Supervisors own you:
Did you know about the 4 month unaccompanied training you go to? Did you know about the fact that you sign an involuntary transfer “mobility agreement” to any station in the agency? Did you know that if they force move you, CBP Pilots are not in the Federal Agency home buy out program?

Supervisors:
In the government the slogan “f up to move up” applies. I know of ONE good Supervisor who is vocal about only surviving his last two years, because he can’t afford to quit.

Work Schedules:
At one point recently we worked rotating day/night shifts between each week (with only 2 days off to acclimate). We routinely had less than 4 days notice to know on Wednesday if we were working on Sunday (can’t plan or have a life), and had so many pay and work rules violations that nearly every “line” pilot in the entire branch had filed grievances with OPR or “internal affairs”. OPR set up interviews in our branch for two weeks due to the number of interviews and violations. I could go on...but I don’t trust you will get the point.

We even had a shiny new hire who came in as his Supervisor’s yes-man. No really, anything it takes kind of guy...it was inspiring. In less than two years he was jaded, quit, and went to the job he swore he had ZERO interest in - airline pilot. Another former USCG guy came in with the same positive “I’m gonna change this place because I am a leader” attitude, maybe 3 years he was frustrated and at another airline. Even the head CBP Pilot recruiter just left for Kalitta. It’s what the FBI calls a “clue”.

Others took on “Acting Supervisor” roles (glorified hall monitors with a discipline quota). It should have given them a great shot at promotion to Supervisor. EVERY one of them was bypassed for promotion, and EVERY one of them quit or transferred in frustration.

But fine - tell me I don’t know what airline or CBP flying is like. You’ll be a CBP Supervisor in no time. Heck I’ll write you a recommendation. PR or MIA would be great for you. 🤣.
Quote: Do I have to get pepper sprayed again at the academy? Looks like pilots don't carry spray regularly. If so, anyone heard of medical waivers for corrective eye surgery guys?

I see there is a 1.5 mile run at the academy, which is fine I guess...if you like running... Are there annual, or some sort of recurring PT standards that I will have to conduct throughout my career as an AIA? In other words, when I'm pushing my late 50s towards the end of my career, do they still expect my old ass to be conducting running tests?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, you will have to take the spray. I don’t know of anyone who got a medical waiver.

No PT Standards, they have tried several times to drop one on the Pilots. Half would die, for sure. They don’t make the recruiting posters. We had a Supervisor so large he couldn’t fit in the DHC8 cockpit much less a King Air or any helicopter.

The message is, CBP can drop new requirements - and has frequently in the past years such as PASS / STAT / STAR / STAR Recurrent / Spanish Academy / ETC that were not requirements when I was hired. It’s just one decision away from doing PT Tests.

At age 50, range qualifications in any of our “garden spot” border locations (full body armor), all damn day on the range might kill you anyway. I’ve done it in hip high snow and suffocating humidity. Every Supervisor went to just one gun for qualification - while “line” Pilots had to qualify as Tactical Team Members requiring a 2,3,or 4 gun qualification. Oh, then after “quals” some ‘moto dude’ fresh back from Firearms School will extend your day another 2 hours for made up tactical training that makes the Army look smart.
Waco,

Check pm's
Quote: Waco,

Check pm's
Send me a PM then...but it would be more entertaining in the public forum. 😬
Quote: Send me a PM then...but it would be more entertaining in the public forum. 😬
That’s the truth.
9  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  29  69 
Page 19 of 83
Go to