CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Subscribe
16  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  36  76 
Page 26 of 83
Go to
Quote: I want to thank everyone who contributes to this thread.

I’m a rotary wing pilot close to retirement and looking at AIA positions.

Some thoughts.

The basic lack of leadership and structure in such a large organization is quite disturbing. These issues with morale and day to day operations are easily fixable with the right people in place. Truly mind blowing.

Is having a TS helpful during the hiring process? Will I have the opportunity to fly 60s again?

Only a current SCI will get you out of the poly. “Regular” TS will not.

AMO is very, very small. The size of a small aviation brigade. And that includes everyone - pilots, boat guys, sensor operators, flight engineers, HQ, HR, senior management.

When I came here, senior management was all pilots. Now non- pilots run the show. There is way more incentive for non-pilots to promote financially. Even before the raise a GS-13 pilot on LEAP would often cap out at higher steps. Now that a line pilot makes directors pay, this trend will intensify. An anticipated side effect of the SSR. I personally had no desire to promote and certainly not now.

As always, taking this job is about more than the money. It is continuing your service in a very different way. But - many feel they’ve done their service and now it’s time to concentrate on whats best for their family- which often means UAL, SW, etc.

It's a highly personal decision. But no doubt many were promised moves that were later denied. That doesn’t seem likely to change soon.
Quote: What advice do you have for a retiring WO looking to transition into AIA?
Seek medical care for your head injury.

Then, find an RTP and enjoy your retirement working part time in an air-conditioned, comfortable cockpit with a ****ter.

Do you really want to spend the next twenty years sitting in a 60 doing ground turns on a 100 degree ramp? It doesn’t get easier as you get older.
Quote: What advice do you have for a retiring WO looking to transition into AIA?
Apply and see what's offered. Don't be surprised if you are given a location that you are least suited for. Meaning rotor head only going to a pred site!!
my 2 cents....
Quote: Reading through this thread it seems like a lot of pilots are leaving or looking to leave AMO. Just wondering where these pilots are going? Major Airlines? Are AMO pilots looked at similarly to military pilots? Considering AMO has a lot of single piston aircraft, not sure how they are looked at by the airlines/ect after they leave AMO.
I left to a major airline and cant be happier with the quality of life I have now. I only miss my friends but not the office the way runs these days. I felt miserable working at CBP! I do have over 12k hours, most on turboprops and 500 on Citation 2. In the past 2 years all 7 that left the Miami office were hired. 4 to the majors, 1 to Atlas and 2 to really good corporate outfits.
I wish I had left 10 years ago.
My best advice: Stay away or run away!
Honestly this doesn’t sound like too bad of a gig for Air Force RPA guys who would want to keep working towards federal retirement and while getting a non zero chance of flying and a steady paycheck.
Quote: Honestly this doesn’t sound like too bad of a gig for Air Force RPA guys who would want to keep working towards federal retirement and while getting a non zero chance of flying and a steady paycheck.
Yeah, if you want to fly the Pred for 20 more years...
Some serious thought
I am currently working (10 years) for another agency under DHS that has the same problems; severely under staffed, days off cancelled or flexed, never knowing if your working 8 or 12 hour days, management is making decisions about things they have never done. I think the government is the same across the board.

With that out of the way, I was a pilot before all this with enough time for an ATP. So the question, is it worth my time to get my commercial instrument single engine current so I can apply? I am currently 35 years old and I walk a canine around cars at a vehicle checkpoint for a living.

This job would be a pay raise with the new SSR rate. Don't care for the initial locations though. What other locations are there to move to down the road?

I have flown Piper warrior /Archer/Seminole/arrow
King air 100/200
Citation 2
Learjet 31/35/55 and SIC typed 45

Any and all thoughts are welcome. I have been working between 500-800 hours of overtime a year and traveling, so that part seems about the same. I would just be able to get back into flying.

Thanks for everyone's time!
Quote: Honestly this doesn’t sound like too bad of a gig for Air Force RPA guys who would want to keep working towards federal retirement and while getting a non zero chance of flying and a steady paycheck.
Realize, you have to do 20 years of 6-C (law enforcement) time to get the 6-C retirement. You can add your active duty time on after that, but you cannot use it to shorten the 20 years...
Will Houston become a NASOC? Looks like they're getting a DAO and the baby dash.
Baby dash?
16  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  36  76 
Page 26 of 83
Go to