Notices
Military Military Aviation

CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:43 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2019
Position: UH60L/M

Hey guys, I’ve been watching this thread and I need some real advice. My current situation: 11 years time in service, 6 as a Blackhawk driver and currently in AFG (limited contact with recruiters right now).

What is the likelihood that I will continue to fly?

Does CBP train all their pilots on UAVs or do you have to have a predesignation for that?

Is the climate truly that bad? From everything I’ve read it seems in line with being a military pilot- maybe even better (no NTC twice yearly, no JRTC, no monthly FTX, ect)

How is the atmosphere for females at CBP? I’ve never had problems in the military, but I have recently heard that is a stigma for females (especially in AIA side).

Thanks again, any/all answers are welcomed.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 PM
P/T Gear Slinger

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: Airbus

Originally Posted by HFhawks09 View Post
....any/all answers are welcomed.
I'd get Envoy to pay for my F/W and start an airline career.

Leaving the military to be slightly less miserable at CBP sounds like you're prolonging the agony.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Thanks for the reply but I'm not military. I flew privately till 2008 and then my 1600 hours didn't stack up with all the airline guys and gals getting laid off. So I jumped in bed with the government (DHS) and this is my tenth year...

Care to elaborate about envoy?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by cpagdog View Post
Thanks for the reply but I'm not military. I flew privately till 2008 and then my 1600 hours didn't stack up with all the airline guys and gals getting laid off. So I jumped in bed with the government (DHS) and this is my tenth year...

Care to elaborate about envoy?
I think Emerson was replying to the UH60 pilot above inquiring about her options on CBP vs an RTP (Rotary Transition Program) available to .mil rotor heads and some .civ who want to get their fixed wing training and time building subsidized/paid for depending on the regional carrier agreement. Envoy offers some money, signing bonus to get this done and still do I think, a lot of the other small players do as well as feeders/flow into the majors.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:02 AM
New Hire

Position: UH60L/M

I know envoy is a hot hire right now, I would say they are the reason the army has released the most recent 100k/3 year bonus for pilots. Envoy isn’t a great option though, none of the big airlines are (I am dual military and we have children). Thanks for the advice though.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 AM
New Hire

Default AIA a good option to start an aviation career

I recently applied and am in the testing process for a CBP AIA position and have some questions for the current AIA’s on the thread. I am a 1,000 hour single/multi engine fixed wing pilot and CFI. Do you guys think this would be a good way to start a new career in aviation? I’m a huge fan of law enforcement and actually look forward to that part of the job and am not necessarily looking to build flight time. What are the odds I would get assigned a UAS position (I prefer to fly manned aircraft)? How easy is it to transfer within the organization? Do they often force employees to transfer? My family is not crazy about moving to the boarder, is there any possibility at all of getting a first time assignment at a location other than those listed as the new hire locations? From everything I’m hearing and reading CBP is hungry for pilots, how willing are they to negotiate on your first duty location?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:27 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2016

There will be no negotiations. New hire pilots will go to one of the listed locations. Forced move are rare, unless your location is closed, which shouldn't happen in the near future as restructuring should be complete and there are no plans to close the new hire locations. If you are hired into a UAS location, you will fly it. If you don't want to move to the border, holy cow did you pick the wrong jbb.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM
P/T Gear Slinger

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: Airbus

Originally Posted by Citabriadriver View Post
I recently applied and am in the testing process...
You’ve wasted your time.

Sounds like you need a fractional with a liberal commuting policy.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Sequester bait

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550

Zero chance of any but the listed locations. Plan for 5 years at your new hire branch.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 AM
New Hire

Questions for the group. I am USAF with less than 2 years until 20. I will be 45 when I retire. I have flown tactical FW my entire career. I am not excited about the airlines (my dad was a airline guy and I grew up with it). I want to eventually move back to Northern California (Sacramento specifically) for family. I am happy to go to Lorado for a year or two to do my time with the goal of eventually transferring to McClellan in Sacramento.

1) is this reasonable to achieve?
2) what do they fly out of McClellan (KMCC)?
3) would they let me work 4 on 3 off at Lorado to leave my family in place in southern TX?

Any other info about hurdles I might face would be appreciated. Thanks!