CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Notices
Military Military Aviation

CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Old 02-22-2018, 05:28 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: RPA sensor

Wow, the hiring center called, I got the job, but WTF I have to start the training academy next week, that's not much time. 5 days notice, what kinda operation is this? The AF & GA has always given more notice than 5 days. The lady on the phone said they had a seat open up, and if I want the job to take it.

Gotta be honest, this isn't a great first impression, 4 days to get stuff squared away and then travel across country.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Sequester bait

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550

Originally Posted by RPAeyes View Post
Wow, the hiring center called, I got the job, but WTF I have to start the training academy next week, that's not much time. 5 days notice, what kinda operation is this? The AF & GA has always given more notice than 5 days. The lady on the phone said they had a seat open up, and if I want the job to take it.

Gotta be honest, this isn't a great first impression, 4 days to get stuff squared away and then travel across country.
Broken is the only word. Welcome, but be prepared for such treatment to continue.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:17 AM
P/T Gear Slinger

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: Airbus

What office were you hired into? What position, AIA or AEA?

If you don't think your initial impression is very good, you'll need to lower your expectations.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Line Holder

Well, from the feedback on this board it sounds like my "dream job" is really a nightmare. I have talked with 3 CBP AIA face to face (2 helo, 1FW) so far and they made the job sound great. Granted they were actively recruiting pilots. If it as bad as it sounds at CBP maybe the Regional route is the best after all. Bummer really.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:56 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Grom1234 View Post
Well, from the feedback on this board it sounds like my "dream job" is really a nightmare. I have talked with 3 CBP AIA face to face (2 helo, 1FW) so far and they made the job sound great. Granted they were actively recruiting pilots. If it as bad as it sounds at CBP maybe the Regional route is the best after all. Bummer really.
If you want to be an airline pilot, yes regionals.

If you want to be a federal LEO, then maybe it would enhance your app to other agencies.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:35 PM
New Hire

I turned down the job offer. I jist dont think giving a person only 4 days notice is right. More importantly it would not give me enough time to outprocess and clear General Atomics. GA has been very good to me and I feel a proper 2 weeks notice is the right thing to do. Maybe next time. I told the hiring center, Id still like to have the job, but a little more advanced notice would be apperciated.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM
P/T Gear Slinger

I turned down the job offer.
Probably a good decision.

Id still like to have the job, but a little more advanced notice would be apperciated.
Try to remember that advanced notice won't change the state of the organization. What you experienced was only one of the many, more minor, manifestations of an incredibly broken organization.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:20 PM
New Hire

I was a little surprised by the hiring centers answer when I inquiried about the next training date. The reply given to me was “it depends if we can fill another class”
Old 02-25-2018, 04:46 AM
P/T Gear Slinger

I was a little surprised by the hiring centers answer when I inquiried about the next training date. The reply given to me was “it depends if we can fill another class”
Just last summer the situation was pretty dire. People that had waited years to be hired were waiting even longer for a FLETC class. They were being pushed each time they filled a class and then one or two candidates would throw their hands up, give up on the wait and AMO would have to cancel the class again.

This wouldn't have been a problem 15-20 years ago, prior to the hostile takeover, when it was done more intelligently. New hires were given generic federal LE training in two different curriculums CEBS and then CITP. Graduates came out with all the requirements to do many things within the US Customs Service. AMO decided to build their own training, has done a pretty disappointing job, can't fill classes and has many an instructor at FLETC teaching stuff they've never done.

But, look at the bright side, after you're done at FLETC you get to go to mandatory Spanish training. That way you'll be able to order tacos at the local roach coach in Spainglish.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 AM
New Hire

Im not going to be “black listed” from AMO for turning them down will I? I’d be happy to take the position, again if it just allowed me to give a proper 2 wks notice, put my belongings into storage and then report for training. I guess it would be prudent for me to contact the hiring center with this question, but shouldnt my poloygraph and physical be good for at least a year? Surely they will have another class, heck its pretty much an open announcement all year