Notices
Military Military Aviation

CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Old 04-24-2020, 04:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: Beach Chair

Originally Posted by DustoffVT View Post
It's a rotor add on to your commercial. Done at a vendor in So-Cal. About 3 weeks to month. R-44, not even close to airline training. We require 250 in category and class to become a PIC, so you'll ride around on the Astar for 200+ hours and then go back to the vendor for Astar initial (1 week). Then PIC mission training at the branch and a full check ride. Sounds like a lot but it's not that bad.

And, it might not be immediate. All depends on funding, where you're at in the FY, etc. Remember its the gov't. Pay isn't dependent on what you fly, like at an airline (although it used to be).
Thanks for the reply. 3 weeks to a month seems quick to learn to fly helicopters to commercial standards from zero time.
What is the time frame to build 200 hours back at the unit ?

Are long TDY assignments frequently assigned in the AMO, or are you mostly stationed and working where you live ?
Old 04-25-2020, 07:17 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
Thanks for the reply. 3 weeks to a month seems quick to learn to fly helicopters to commercial standards from zero time.
What is the time frame to build 200 hours back at the unit ?

Are long TDY assignments frequently assigned in the AMO, or are you mostly stationed and working where you live ?
Eh, not really. I skipped the PPL for rotor add-on back when AMO required dual-rated pilots but I'm not sure how the vendor does it for AMO. I also was lucky enough to get a lot of bootleg time in an AS-350 before paying for my own add-on. Basically though if you get hired as a fixed-wing only pilot you need to do your job well, keep your head low, and then when they ask you if you're interested in a rotor add-on act shocked and graciously accept the $80k+ training free to you, with per diem.

As for the TDY assignments, based on the locations in the USAjobs announcements you can pretty much guarantee you won't have to worry too much about TDY's save for a few training TDY's.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2020
Smile Anything Changed?

So I have been a CFI for the past year, accrued 1300 hours and had my class date for a nice regional set for mid March. The coronavirus came and absolutely destroyed everything I was working for. I am in need of a job and have been in the hiring process for CBP. I was pretty excited to work in Aguadilla, PR, and fly for CBP until this thread. I wouldn't mind moving to PR as I am only 23 with no family. Has anything changed for the better in the program recently? Are they still primarily flying the DHC-8 in Aguadilla? Would I get it out of training? Has management changed? My plan was to join CBP and see if I liked working there, if I didn't or when the airlines get back in shape I would leave. I heard the 6 year contract isn't difficult to get out of if worst comes to worst.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2020, 07:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Default CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

From what I’ve heard, it seems like PR will be pretty difficult to get unless you already have multi Turbine time.
Also, what 6 year contract are you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2020, 04:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA

Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
Ummm what contract are you talking about? I've been with CBP for 16yrs and I've never heard of a contract
Back in the groove at work? Appreciate all the info you have provided our here...
Old 04-27-2020, 05:18 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2018

[QUOTE=RedBull;3042804]So I have been a CFI for the past year, accrued 1300 hours and had my class date for a nice regional set for mid March. The coronavirus came and absolutely destroyed everything I was working for. I am in need of a job and have been in the hiring process for CBP. I was pretty excited to work in Aguadilla, PR, and fly for CBP until this thread. I wouldn't mind moving to PR as I am only 23 with no family. Has anything changed for the better in the program recently? Are they still primarily flying the DHC-8 in Aguadilla? Would I get it out of training? Has management changed? My plan was to join CBP and see if I liked working there, if I didn't or when the airlines get back in shape I would leave. I heard the 6 year contract isn't difficult to get out of if worst comes to worst.

Thanks

Redbull,

Why would an employer want to hire someone that is looking for ways to get out of a non-existent contract before they even get hired?

In reality since you are only a FW only CFI, you will probably be a UAS pilot. If not then you will be c-206 driver in Laredo or El Paso.

A piece of advice, try checking the entitled attitude at the door. If you were lucky enough to get through the process (background check, poly, interviews, and checkrides), you will have a job that will pay you 4x the amount you were making as a CFI.. and that’s in the first year.

Regardless of the issues with the agency, this is still a professional career... Not a stop gap like you are seeking a job as a Wal Mart greeter.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:08 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
Ummm what contract are you talking about? I've been with CBP for 16yrs and I've never heard of a contract
Hey that's interesting. It was mentioned to me in a hiring brief however I just scoured the internet and couldn't find anything. Maybe i'm just misremembering!
Old 04-29-2020, 08:14 AM
Line Holder

[QUOTE=TXNFlyer210;3043300]
Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
So I have been a CFI for the past year, accrued 1300 hours and had my class date for a nice regional set for mid March. The coronavirus came and absolutely destroyed everything I was working for. I am in need of a job and have been in the hiring process for CBP. I was pretty excited to work in Aguadilla, PR, and fly for CBP until this thread. I wouldn't mind moving to PR as I am only 23 with no family. Has anything changed for the better in the program recently? Are they still primarily flying the DHC-8 in Aguadilla? Would I get it out of training? Has management changed? My plan was to join CBP and see if I liked working there, if I didn't or when the airlines get back in shape I would leave. I heard the 6 year contract isn't difficult to get out of if worst comes to worst.

Thanks

Redbull,

Why would an employer want to hire someone that is looking for ways to get out of a non-existent contract before they even get hired?

In reality since you are only a FW only CFI, you will probably be a UAS pilot. If not then you will be c-206 driver in Laredo or El Paso.

A piece of advice, try checking the entitled attitude at the door. If you were lucky enough to get through the process (background check, poly, interviews, and checkrides), you will have a job that will pay you 4x the amount you were making as a CFI.. and that’s in the first year.

Regardless of the issues with the agency, this is still a professional career... Not a stop gap like you are seeking a job as a Wal Mart greeter.
I am a CFI, CFII, and MEI sorry for the confusion.

Sorry for sounding entitled, I was incredibly excited for this career opportunity that being said I spent yesterday scrolling through this thread and the majority of posts were trashing this position. I know the pay is awesome but personally I wouldn't mind making far less money if it meant showing up to a place I love working at.

That being said thank you for the information
Old 04-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by dapuckstopper15 View Post
From what I’ve heard, it seems like PR will be pretty difficult to get unless you already have multi Turbine time.
Also, what 6 year contract are you talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not have multi turbine time, I am an MEI with about 45 hours multi though. I listened to a hiring brief and it was mentioned that they really need ME FW at PR. I was wondering if anyone on here would know more.

Also about the 6 year contract, it was mentioned on the hiring brief as well but I can't find it anywhere online.... weird.

Thanks for the reply
Old 04-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by RedBull View Post

I am a CFI, CFII, and MEI sorry for the confusion.

Sorry for sounding entitled, I was incredibly excited for this career opportunity that being said I spent yesterday scrolling through this thread and the majority of posts were trashing this position. I know the pay is awesome but personally I wouldn't mind making far less money if it meant showing up to a place I love working at.

That being said thank you for the information
If you want to be a Federal Law Enforcement Officer AND fly - then it is probably one of the top jobs out there. There are other people out there on the board that have flown for the FBI and DEA too.

If you just want to be a pilot - then you will not want the AIA job as there are other aspects of the job.

I still think it is a very important job, but I'm not sure if I still know anyone there personally anymore. The job has certainly taken a hit since I looked hard at it.