CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)

Subscribe
40  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  60 
Page 50 of 83
Go to
Quote: Aguadilla. -8's. For now.
Bummer. Lived in PR before for a previous job and don't have much interest in moving back. What's life like for the UAS folks? Ideally would like to get on with a true flying position within the contiguous U.S., not PR and not flying UAS.
Quote:
Is there a good URL to see all the branches in the US and what they fly? To maybe target a particular branch, in time?

Anyway, happy to be here. Happy to matter.
Found this on Google: https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...ting-locations

No pretty pictures or maps, but it should give you an idea of operating locations.
Quote: Bummer. Lived in PR before for a previous job and don't have much interest in moving back. What's life like for the UAS folks? Ideally would like to get on with a true flying position within the contiguous U.S., not PR and not flying UAS.
I had a solid chat with a former UAS chap on the ups and downs (he may even reach out to you as he did me) and it's routine patrols, 99.9% automation, likely long, boring shifts with a somewhat possible chance of going to a new branch if the Director authorizes it.

I believe the majority of pilots for the agency are lifers with a ton of experience. Granted I don't know where you experience lies, but if it isn't X amount of years in the Navy or Air Force flying jets or multiple tours to the Middle East flying a UH-60, or already being with the agency and having something fall into your lap, I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm not.

BUT, I did speak with a former colleague who started his AIA journey in PR on the -8 and one year later transferred to Miami and is now living his best life.

And a final thought, come October there may not being any flying related jobs left. Therefore, the MQ9 could be the best thing ever. After all, its a job, pay, and benefits.
Im being told Laredo is also a new hire location as well for FW guys. What do they fly in Laredo?

Quote: During a new-hire teleconference and on the job description itself, they're offering:

1. Yuma, AZ
2. Sierra Vista, AZ
3. San Angelo, TX
4. El Paso, TX
5. and some city that I can't spell in PR.

1 is rotary only. The only options that offer FW are 2, 3, 4, 5. Of those, 2 and 3 are UAS but 2 has C206 and 3 has PC12 (for currency). 5 is Dash-8 and moving to King Air 350 and 4 we were told is just "ASEL".

I think that's decently accurate.
Quote: I had a solid chat with a former UAS chap on the ups and downs (he may even reach out to you as he did me) and it's routine patrols, 99.9% automation, likely long, boring shifts with a somewhat possible chance of going to a new branch if the Director authorizes it.

I believe the majority of pilots for the agency are lifers with a ton of experience. Granted I don't know where you experience lies, but if it isn't X amount of years in the Navy or Air Force flying jets or multiple tours to the Middle East flying a UH-60, or already being with the agency and having something fall into your lap, I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm not.

BUT, I did speak with a former colleague who started his AIA journey in PR on the -8 and one year later transferred to Miami and is now living his best life.

And a final thought, come October there may not being any flying related jobs left. Therefore, the MQ9 could be the best thing ever. After all, its a job, pay, and benefits.
Interesting, good to know. Thanks for the inside info!
Quote: I had a solid chat with a former UAS chap on the ups and downs (he may even reach out to you as he did me) and it's routine patrols, 99.9% automation, likely long, boring shifts with a somewhat possible chance of going to a new branch if the Director authorizes it.

I think I may know your Miami guy. PB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: Aguadilla. -8's. For now.
Is PR going UAS? Or just to King Air's?
Quote: I think I may know your Miami guy. PB?
Yup, small world!
San Angelo, TX – UAS and PC-12

Sierra Vista, AZ – UAS and C206

Laredo, TX – C206 and AS350

El Paso, TX – C206, AS350, UH60
PR
Quote: Is PR going UAS? Or just to King Air's?
Dash-8’s are getting upgraded and will be around for a while. King airs will probably come in to supplement.
40  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  60 
Page 50 of 83
Go to