Not paying for interview unprofessional?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: We arranged and paid the air travel and hotels, if necessary. Usually, it could be a one day trip and lunch or dinner was part of the interview.

GF
This ^^^ is how it was done when I interviewed at my current job, and how we've done it for subsequent hires. 1 day event, meet over lunch.

You're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. If they're skimping here...
It could be a sign of what working at the company is going to be like. The main reason for not reimbursing interview expenses is the company likes to "take a look" at as many applicants as it can.

In the 70's pilots had to pay for all of their interview expenses, so it could be that the company has older management who remember this.
"Not paying for interview unprofessional?"

Short answer: "YES"

If the company is not paying for the ticket over, they're not a serious company.
I think it depends on how many qualified applicants they are getting. If a company can’t afford to be picky, it is their job to woo you. If they have a line of people waiting to work there, they have no incentive to spend money on you yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they tell you to bring a change of clothes...they are probably gonna have you washing the airplane....just to see how bad you want that job.
Quote: Hello,

I have an interview coming up with an outfit on the East Coast. This company told me they expect me to pay for my interview travel expenses (airfare, lodging, etc.). The trip should end up costing me about $400.

Is this considered unprofessional in your view? If so, what would you do?

I've worked in a few different industries and this is the first time I've ever had a company ask me to pay for items related to the interview.

Thanks.
I would be very frank with them.

"Given the current pilot market, it doesn't sound like you are serious in filling the position at this time.

- Best of luck, XYZ"
Quote: I would be very frank with them.

"............. it doesn't sound like you are serious in filling the position at this time.

- Best of luck, XYZ"
Your advice would be burning a bridge. Burning bridges on any opportunity is never a good idea. Sometimes a good impression (like being nice about saying no thank you) will make the interviewer remember you to another opportunity he or she knows about.

Just my humble opinion...
It’s never, ever, cool to be an arrogant a’hole with any employer. You never know who might be an influence on your behalf in the future.

Being polite always pays.

GF
Quote: I would be very frank with them.

"Given the current pilot market, it doesn't sound like you are serious in filling the position at this time.

- Best of luck, XYZ"
People who give advice like this typically would not follow their own advice...
🔥
^^^This^^^

Quote: People who give advice like this typically would not follow their own advice...
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to