Total noob

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 5 of 7
Go to
If you’re an Amazon Prime member download the Prime Now app. There’s a warehouse by DAL and they will deliver groceries right to your hotel.

The laundry room has a microwave and toaster oven as well as plates and napkins. The machines take credit cards, $2 a cycle. There’s also a bunch of paper trainers to practice flows and callouts. Fridge in your room will hold a decent amount of food/beer.

Discount on food and domestic beers at the hotel. FedEx ship on site, really nice gym with a basketball court and indoor track. Like everyone else said, it’s a great company, get to know your classmates and have some fun.
Quote: If you’re an Amazon Prime member download the Prime Now app. There’s a warehouse by DAL and they will deliver groceries right to your hotel.

The laundry room has a microwave and toaster oven as well as plates and napkins. The machines take credit cards, $2 a cycle. There’s also a bunch of paper trainers to practice flows and callouts. Fridge in your room will hold a decent amount of food/beer.

Discount on food and domestic beers at the hotel. FedEx ship on site, really nice gym with a basketball court and indoor track. Like everyone else said, it’s a great company, get to know your classmates and have some fun.
Which hotel is it?
They got us at the Hilton Anatole, some classes are at the Marriott right next door.
Quote: Yankees.....
Ha! Love it! Man thanks for the info on the hotel and Amazon app. I am really ready to get started; 30 days left until my last day at current job so I am enjoying the flying I have left to do; won't get to fly a jet single pilot for a long time after all this. Speaking of, what is the policy of contract flying on our off time? I imagine they don't want us to do it. Is it just a don't talk about it kind of thing that everyone does anyway?
Quote: They got us at the Hilton Anatole, some classes are at the Marriott right next door.
I'm thinking about driving out to class. Do we have to pay for parking at the Anatole or Marriott? I think that would change my mind pretty quick if so.
Quote: Speaking of, what is the policy of contract flying on our off time? I imagine they don't want us to do it. Is it just a don't talk about it kind of thing that everyone does anyway?
I believe you need your chief pilot's approval for outside flying. Have yet to hear of anyone doing it because they prefer the time off, or if money is the issue, there's way more to be made by picking up a trip at SWA. As a new guy, you'll be able to pick up trips from open time that pay 2nd year rates...so that's likely a minimum $650/day, not including 401k-NEC, sick time accumulation, and profit sharing if you're eligible.
Plenty of SWA pilots instruct in their off time. It’s more of a hobby than a money making scheme since you can make way more by picking up open time. You don’t need anyone’s permission to do part time CFI type stuff. Other than that or maybe something like ferrying planes when you are available, I wouldn’t get too hard and heavy into a side gig. Any part 121 or 135 is verboten since it impinges on your legality.
Quote: I'm thinking about driving out to class. Do we have to pay for parking at the Anatole or Marriott? I think that would change my mind pretty quick if so.
I'm curious about this too. I'm also planning on driving but if we have to pay for parking that could change things.
Quote: Speaking of, what is the policy of contract flying on our off time? I imagine they don't want us to do it. Is it just a don't talk about it kind of thing that everyone does anyway?
There are provisions in place for contract work—speak to a chief. I know a few that do it (mostly to help out an operator in need).
No, there was no charge to park at the Anatole; it's part of the resort package that's included in our rate. Just have to get your room key activated for it, and it'll let you in and out of the gate. If I didn't live on the west coast, I'd have brought a car; it would have made life much easier! It's doable without it using an occasional Uber, but your own car is always nice to have.

One heads up I didn't realize: Any packages sent to the hotel go to that Fedex Office, and they charge a "package receiving fee." I ended up having to pay $15 to pick up an Amazon delivery! I was not amused. To avoid repeating my mistake, there's a 7-11 with an Amazon locker down the street.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 5 of 7
Go to