Thought this question might fit here.

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Im 6'5 with a 36" inseam. I am worried this will stop me from flying. Or make me miss out on great opportunities.

I am thinking of doing flight school through ATP, as I am 27 and feel behind in the game.

I need the truth preferably from all the other giants out there. What issues will I face? Will I fit?

-Cheers
Thought this question might fit here.
Hi,

Im 6'5 with a 36" inseam. I am worried this will stop me from flying. Or make me miss out on great opportunities.

I am thinking of doing flight school through ATP, as I am 27 and feel behind in the game. Im sure i could suffer through 2 years being jammed into a baron/172 ect.. But what about the next 3-7 years as a regional? I cant easily sit in all those planes to test them out.

I need the truth, preferably from all the other giants out there.

What issues will I face? Will I even fit?

-Cheers
You’ll be fine. There’s some pretty tall, as well as wide guys out there. If you fly the CRJ you’ll just have to watch your head getting in and out the seat.
While your standing altitude may keep you from the cockpit of an F-16, it shouldn't present a problem in most commercial venues. I know a number of tall pilots, each of whom has done very well in his or her career.

I can't speak to you as a giant, because I'm not; in fact I'm the opposite. I can speak to your question as the observer of a number of tall pilots, however, and can say with some confidence that it shouldn't impede you unless your'e seeking employment in a tiny cockpit.

There aren't a lot of pilot jobs in which you're standing on the job, anyway, so I wouldn't feel too concerned about your inseam.
Quote: Hi,

I am thinking of doing flight school through ATP, as I am 27 and feel behind in the game. Im sure i could suffer through 2 years being jammed into a baron/172 ect.. But what about the next 3-7 years as a regional? I cant easily sit in all those planes to test them out.

I need the truth, preferably from all the other giants out there.

What issues will I face? Will I even fit?

-Cheers
6'4" not a problem.
So all of these in-cockpit flight videos i see of the pilots (who might be 6'1 at the max) knees are almost touching the dash.

Now, Im assuming they all scoot themselves perfectly close, but not too close? Is this what Im seeing??
So all of these in-cockpit flight videos i see of the pilots (who might be 6'1 at the max) knees are almost touching the dash.

Now, Im assuming they all scoot themselves perfectly close, but not too close? Is this what Im seeing??
Quote: So all of these in-cockpit flight videos i see of the pilots (who might be 6'1 at the max) knees are almost touching the dash.

The seats and pedals are very adjustable, much more so than on a car.

If you're much over 6' I would avoid lear jets and maybe a handful of other smaller planes. But you'll be fine in all airliners.
aawesome thank you!
6'4" here. Had a few tight squeezes but that never stopped me from flying just about anything I wanted to fly.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to