JB Austin Commute?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to
Considering JB, but I don't want to move from AUS. Would a commute from AUS to BOS or JFK be a no-go? Currently commuting for a regional. It's fine, but with JB I guess I'll no longer have the flight benefits.

Yes, I know: Unless you live in base, JB isn't....etc, etc.
Quote: Considering JB, but I don't want to move from AUS. Would a commute from AUS to BOS or JFK be a no-go? Currently commuting for a regional. It's fine, but with JB I guess I'll no longer have the flight benefits.

I don't know about AUS, but a minor correction here... even IF you live in base, JB isn't.....etc etc. I know lots of people who live in base who have either escaped recently or are trying their hardest to get out of here. And it turns out everyone who has left has said the grass is indeed greener. So is their bank account.
I do the commute. . .It's not the best. . .not the worst. Usually five direct flights a day to JFK on us, Delta and AA. We are the least reliable. Commuting on the day of reserve or a trip is not a good idea. We usually have a late flight that leaves JFK around 2100 so it's usually okay to commute home on the last day. If I had to choose it over again, AUS would not have been my first choice as a commute city.
. . and it seems as though there are 3 direct flights to BOS now as Delta and SWA do it. . .Not sure how that commute goes but the times don't look great. There are a few commuters from AUS to BOS but not many.
Quote: I do the commute. . .It's not the best. . .not the worst. Usually five direct flights a day to JFK on us, Delta and AA. We are the least reliable. Commuting on the day of reserve or a trip is not a good idea. We usually have a late flight that leaves JFK around 2100 so it's usually okay to commute home on the last day. If I had to choose it over again, AUS would not have been my first choice as a commute city.
Yeah, figured there probably isn't anything super great about it except that it's possible. JB is the first airline to call, but maybe I'll pass. Actually considered Via Air, which just opened a base here, but not ready give up on the idea of making money just yet.
Quote: I don't know about AUS, but a minor correction here... even IF you live in base, JB isn't.....etc etc. I know lots of people who live in base who have either escaped recently or are trying their hardest to get out of here. And it turns out everyone who has left has said the grass is indeed greener. So is their bank account.
If it were guaranteed that I could get picked up elsewhere before my current company falls out from under me, I'd hold out. Right now, JB is my only option aside from lower paying, no schedule 135/91 stuff. I get it though. Without that contract JB is dead in the water. Interestingly, I went back and was reading a JB post from 2007 comparing pay scales at all of the different majors (the poster was arguing that JB was the highest paying). Back then, everyone was pretty equal, including Delta, United, JB, Virgin, etc. Idk why we can't just go back to that.

Edit: Here's the post - JBlue really the 2nd best paying job - after F9. Everyone was pretty close back then.
Quote: If it were guaranteed that I could get picked up elsewhere before my current company falls out from under me, I'd hold out. Right now, JB is my only option aside from lower paying, no schedule 135/91 stuff. I get it though. Without that contract JB is dead in the water. Interestingly, I went back and was reading a JB post from 2007 comparing pay scales at all of the different majors (the poster was arguing that JB was the highest paying). Back then, everyone was pretty equal, including Delta, United, JB, Virgin, etc. Idk why we can't just go back to that.
Man I get it. Just wanted to do the whole full disclosure thing. You are very right.
Quote: Yeah, figured there probably isn't anything super great about it except that it's possible. JB is the first airline to call, but maybe I'll pass. Actually considered Via Air, which just opened a base here, but not ready give up on the idea of making money just yet.
Take JetBlue until something better comes along.
Quote: Take JetBlue until something better comes along.
I agree. Leaving a regional should be a no brainier. The 175/900's and below just aren't going to make you as marketable, and they will never pay as well as an Airbus or Boeing job ( yeah a few terrible operators aside).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Quote: Considering JB, but I don't want to move from AUS. Would a commute from AUS to BOS or JFK be a no-go? Currently commuting for a regional. It's fine, but with JB I guess I'll no longer have the flight benefits.

Go to JB, treat it as a stepping stone, and move on from it when you can.
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to