Regional options from TUS (Compass, Skywest?)

Subscribe
Retiring military pilot needs to do a tour with regionals. For various reasons, I'm stuck in Tucson for the short term. Is TUS a viable option for newbie at SkyWest? Better to try for a PHX domicile (2 hour drive) with Compass or SkyWest or commute within the region to SLC, LAX, DEN, etc?
TUS is a very small base, 12 crews, most junior FO is a march 2017 hire. PHX is a bit bigger, but same seniority wise. SkyWest that is
Quote: Retiring military pilot needs to do a tour with regionals. For various reasons, I'm stuck in Tucson for the short term. Is TUS a viable option for newbie at SkyWest? Better to try for a PHX domicile (2 hour drive) with Compass or SkyWest or commute within the region to SLC, LAX, DEN, etc?
I would take the closest base you can get (lax, phx, slc) on the CRJ and keep your bid in for tus. You'll get it eventually. Tiny base though so very little movement.
If you don’t initially get based in TUS. At least you have the option to trade into TUS trips. Or pick up flying there.. until you can hold it. Its a cool small base..
I don’t know about Compass, but you should plan on commuting somewhere else for 6 months+ at Skywest before you could hold either TUS or PHX. You’ll have to decide whether you want to commute 2 time zones east to DTW or ATL and get a line faster, or commute to DEN, LAX, or FAT but be on reserve a lot longer. Neither are great options. Either way, you’ll probably have to make the drive to PHX first.
As of now Compass is still putting new hires into phx.
Quote: Retiring military pilot needs to do a tour with regionals. For various reasons, I'm stuck in Tucson for the short term. Is TUS a viable option for newbie at SkyWest? Better to try for a PHX domicile (2 hour drive) with Compass or SkyWest or commute within the region to SLC, LAX, DEN, etc?
Please, go to Compass. Thank you for your service, but we waste a lot of money on ATPs for retired military who then move on to Delta before they finish IOE.
Quote: Please, go to Compass. Thank you for your service, but we waste a lot of money on ATPs for retired military who then move on to Delta before they finish IOE.
SKW is happy to do it these days. About one in ten decide to stick around for a while or forever. They're willing to train ten to get one ex-mil pilot who sticks since they tend to be quality employees.
Compass offers PHX & LAX to new-hires, and has a faster west coast upgrade. Plus we pay for commuter parking, have a commuter clause, and commuter hotels. $17K on top of that.