Notices

New Hire Classes and Drops

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 07:09 PM
No

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by CSFletch View Post
How quickly could a new hire hold a 737 or Bus in IAD? Thanks!
Also 737 in ORD. Please and thanks.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by KenNoisewaterMD View Post
Also 737 in ORD. Please and thanks.
Same question for CLE
Old 06-21-2021, 04:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Historic's are probably:

IAD in 6-12 months
ORD in 12 months plus
CLE a long time relatively

In all seriousness there is alot of movement rite now thru vacancy bids so its very hard to say what the future time lines will be. The bases y’all mention are the typical herd paths.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:55 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by Firefly899 View Post
Historic's are probably:

IAD in 6-12 months
ORD in 12 months plus
CLE a long time relatively

In all seriousness there is alot of movement rite now thru vacancy bids so its very hard to say what the future time lines will be. The bases y’all mention are the typical herd paths.
Thanks for the Intel. Any better platform (75/76) for quicker movement depending where you want to go or do the times stay about the same?
Old 06-21-2021, 05:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by CSFletch View Post
Thanks for the Intel. Any better platform (75/76) for quicker movement depending where you want to go or do the times stay about the same?
Not sure of your question - are you asking if there is significant difference in movement between the 757 and 767? The answer is neither as they are both considered the same equipment category.

Seniority will always come faster over the long term in growth fleets. 737 is growing FAST. 320 is effectively stagnant. 756 will be shrinking.

In the short term - movement is anyone’s guess as the airline staffing stabilizes post-pandemic.

Edited to add - the best strategy as a new hire is to get a narrow body. If a 756 spot opens up in the base you want before a narrow body then you can bid up to the 756. However if you bid 756 you won’t be able to get into your desired base even if there are open narrow body spots due to a 2 year equipment freeze from going down.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Originally Posted by FlewNavy View Post
Not sure of your question - are you asking if there is significant difference in movement between the 757 and 767? The answer is neither as they are both considered the same equipment category.

Seniority will always come faster over the long term in growth fleets. 737 is growing FAST. 320 is effectively stagnant. 756 will be shrinking.

In the short term - movement is anyone’s guess as the airline staffing stabilizes post-pandemic.

Edited to add - the best strategy as a new hire is to get a narrow body. If a 756 spot opens up in the base you want before a narrow body then you can bid up to the 756. However if you bid 756 you won’t be able to get into your desired base even if there are open narrow body spots due to a 2 year equipment freeze from going down.
That answered my question, thank you! Sorry for the poor wording, meant 737/320 vs 75/76. Sounds like the best strategy is get to your preferred base first, then try working into a different platform. The seat lock is definitely something to factor in. Have a great week.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Whats gonna be interesting to see is how many must fill EWR 756’s come to next few classes from the last vacancy.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: 175 CA

Originally Posted by Firefly899 View Post
Whats gonna be interesting to see is how many must fill EWR 756’s come to next few classes from the last vacancy.

Is there anywhere a running tally on what remains unfilled from that vacancy?
my understanding few have been filled. I personally want ORD but would be happy to commute a little longer to fly something other than 737 (not that it’s a bad plane just been on it for a while)
Old 06-21-2021, 03:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by Squallrider View Post
Is there anywhere a running tally on what remains unfilled from that vacancy?
my understanding few have been filled. I personally want ORD but would be happy to commute a little longer to fly something other than 737 (not that it’s a bad plane just been on it for a while)
yes, just look at the last vacancy bid under crew resources
Old 06-21-2021, 08:31 PM
Get me outta here...

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Boeing right seat

Attention...

For any question about "how do I get speed / flexibility / seniority / QOL as a new hire, let me summarize the past 10,000 posts on this subject:

Bid the 737 to the base of your choice.
Or a 737 to the closest base... since you can lateral as soon as a slot opens up. Which won't be long.

And if you're DYING to fly the 757, just bid the Guppy anyways... do it for 1-23 months... and bid to the 757 with NO additional freeze, once you have a modicum of SA on what life at UAL is like as a Guppy FO.

Or just bid the biggest thing you can get anywhere and expect to sit reserve for a couple of years.

Your call.

But honestly... does it take this many posts over the past 5 years to understand this?

p.s. "I hate going back to TK" is a common excuse to avoid doing more training. Keep in mind that when you go from the 737 to the 757, it's about 20 days over the course of 4 weeks. It's not 4 months. And you go home on the "weekends" if you want. It's not a hardship tour.