Flight related tax deductions?

Subscribe
I’m an army helicopter pilot who paid and got commercial,instrument, cfi and cfii in that order in airplanes to further my career and get to the airlines. My question is if it’s possible to take the airplane training as a tax deduction whether it’s because of furthering my current career as a professional pilot or through a lifetime learning credit/etc? Any help would be appreciated
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-ben...rmation-center

You might be able to make an argument for it. Looks like it's going to depend on what your "present work" is (Army helo?) and if going from that to fixed wing commercial aviation is considering a "new trade".

I'd see if you can get a tax professional to help you out and if they sign off on the return, great.
The question really depends on whether your job is as a professional pilot or as a member of the Army. The IRS argument is likely to be that even if you lose your medical, you will still be paid by the Army in your current grade, and reassigned to do something else.

This has been fought many times, with different results. It would help if you could show some outside employment as a pilot.

That said, I would take the deduction, and risk the audit. The IRS appears to be underfunded this year, and you are not risking jail, just a small financial penalty. Talk to a tax professional, (not H&R Block).

Joe