"Not eligible for re-hire"

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Quote: A better opportunity starts in less than 2 weeks. I've had it happen before. Luckily, the company I left was very supportive of the decision. Other than that, I've always given proper notice.
If you know you're on good terms, no issue.

Larger companies (ie airlines) are all essentially going to require two weeks, and they won't do waivers or favors on that.
Have a better offer—great! They’ll understand your need to give two weeks or more notice. Don’t put pressure on yourself and don’t, under pressure, create even an opportunity for a black mark. “Not rehire-able” is potentially a black mark. You can avoid one easily.

GF
Quote: A better opportunity starts in less than 2 weeks. I've had it happen before. Luckily, the company I left was very supportive of the decision. Other than that, I've always given proper notice.
I have had many opportunities come up with less than sufficient notice for my existing employer. Some of them have been far too good an opportunity to turn down.

In every case, I told the prospective employer the same thing: I wouldn't do it to you, and therefore I can't do it to them.

If I walk away from employer A to take advantage of employer B, then employer B knows that I'll do the same thing to them when an offer comes along from employer C. Consequently I do not do that. I don't sign contracts, I do handshakes, and if that's inadequate, I don't work for that employer. Word has to be as good as bond. If one is willing to run out on one employer for another, the new employer already knows about your level of commitment.

In context: if you're worried about your new employer getting an "ineligible for rehire" statement from your last, fret not. Your new employer already knows that you abandoned your last employer without notice. It shouldn't surprise them that the old employer won't take you back. That's the nature of burning bridges. The choice is yours, as is full control of the situation. In this case it's not about skeletons in your closet. It's about a skeleton you're about to put in the closet. Up to you if you want to stick it in there.

It sounds like this is a value judgement for you, and your decision is that the new job is worth more than any potential black mark you might create. If this is the case, press on. The decision has been made.
As John says, it’s your reputation. Build one to be proud of.

GF
What’s the thoughts on leaving an airline after the ground portion? To go to another airline that has their stuff together and better opportunity? Doing fine in ground, but some great prospects out there. Would rather not have to pay back a full training contract (no sim yet)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sim has already been booked and now they have an odd number and they need to pay a guy to ride seat support.
If there are so many good opportunities why’d you choose this one?
Quote: What’s the thoughts on leaving an airline after the ground portion? To go to another airline that has their stuff together and better opportunity? Doing fine in ground, but some great prospects out there. Would rather not have to pay back a full training contract (no sim yet)...

PRIA will show an incomplete training event. You'll have to field questions about that for the rest of your career.

I advise people to complete training and IOE (and probation if at all possible). That alleviates the question or training or probation problems.

That said you could probably get away with it once. But if you make a habit of it, many employers will be leery unless they think they'll be your career destination (ie DAL).
Quote: PRIA will show an incomplete training event. You'll have to field questions about that for the rest of your career.

I advise people to complete training and IOE (and probation if at all possible). That alleviates the question or training or probation problems.

That said you could probably get away with it once. But if you make a habit of it, many employers will be leery unless they think they'll be your career destination (ie DAL).

Thank you. Yeah. I don’t want “marks” but would also rather not go through a year of crap just to move over anyway. (Not DAL job yet). I know many of the “selection” criteria will toss if you put “no”. So I really don’t want to make that an issue. Man I’m really torn on this one. And of course I don’t want to burn any bridges.

I would be leery of working for a company that couldn't wait a minimum of two weeks for a report date in order for you to give proper notice to your past employer as JB points out; so not only be concerned about your past actions soiling your future opportunities, but be wary of the company with which you are joining and where that may lead in the future.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to