Commute Options for a Maybe NewHire

Subscribe
Long time lurker.

I just hit my ATP mins, and I’m ready to move on. I’ve been flying a 208 for a commuter, and I have an interview with RA in March, hoping to start on 5/1 or 5/15.

I’ve succeeded in confusing myself about bases and commuting.

I live close to CLE which is about a two-hour drive from CMH or PIT. CLE is about a half-hour away, so I could drive to CLE and commute somewhere else. ORD seems to have the most direct flights followed by LGA.

QOL is number one for me, but I also want to fly the 170/175.

I have the impression that CMH is junior for FOs, but I'm not sure about PIT.

I’d appreciate some wisdom here. Thanks.
Check your PMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct that CMH is junior for FOs. PIT is also junior. So is LGA. ORD is not. If you are planning to commute, consider LGA for the faster seniority increases and thus shorter time on reserve. However, avoid commuting in general. A two hour drive to CMH or PIT gives you a shorter commute time than flying to any other base. Your life will be much better that way.

I was based in CMH for a couple of years. There are plenty of crewmembers there who drive two hours to get to the airport. It's not all roses, though. Plan for early show times and late finishes. If at all possible you will want to work 3-5 day trips to minimize how often you have to leave your house at 3 AM.
Flightcap, thank you very much. I'm hoping this goes as planned. Thanks again.