No more pets in cargo for United

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Ready....Fire....Aim. (again)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...aps/441529002/
The old CO pet program was highly regarded, I believe it was even endorsed by the AKC. In true Smisek fashion, he decided outsourcing made more sense and yet another piece of the operation became a turd- like everything else that abject failure touched.
Quote: The old CO pet program was highly regarded, I believe it was even endorsed by the AKC. In true Smisek fashion, he decided outsourcing made more sense and yet another piece of the operation became a turd- like everything else that abject failure touched.
I don't know who is responsible exactly. I doubt you do either.
However, you are correct about the old CAL Petsafe program. When created during Bethune' tenure around 2000, it was a stroke of marketing genius. (Wasn't his idea, but that's indicative of the atmosphere he engendered).

The program wound up "bringing " additional premium passenger traffic to CAL. By the time of the merger, in spite of the size difference of the two carriers, CAL was carrying 4 times as many pets in the hold as United. Around 130,000/yr.

This decision to suspend the program is another knee jerk, like the bonus suspension.

I don't think the exec office realizes there are people in DOD, for example who are contractually bound to use United. So when Sergeant Bailey and his wife DEROS back to the U.S. from wherever, the travel office gives them a ticket on United (no choice). So what do they do with Fido/fluffy....etc?
Quote:
I don't think the exec office realizes there are people in DOD, for example who are contractually bound to use United. So when Sergeant Bailey and his wife DEROS back to the U.S. from wherever, the travel office gives them a ticket on United (no choice). So what do they do with Fido/fluffy....etc?
Put them on another airline, and get reimbursed for the ticket. Not a big deal.
Quote: ...
If it's a mil charter, DoD/TRANSCOM will probably spell out in the contract they must carry pets.
Quote: If it's a mil charter, DoD/TRANSCOM will probably spell out in the contract they must carry pets.
Not charters. Just contracted carriage. Military members have no choice, just like other DOD/ gov employees.
Quote: Not charters. Just contracted carriage. Military members have no choice, just like other DOD/ gov employees.
I always get stuck on AA when flying on dod business. I'd much rather fly on us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Quote: Not charters. Just contracted carriage. Military members have no choice, just like other DOD/ gov employees.
The only ones who don’t have a choice are the ones who don’t negotiate with SATO. And if anyone is on orders with their animal because they’re PCSing.... simple, they get booked on another airline.

Guess what, Fido is probably going into quarantine anyway so who cares.

Time to UnJeff petsafe.
It was time
Although the death of Coquito while tragic will probably save lives. Clearly if Coquito's life was not snuffed out in such a horrible manner along with the timing of the Japan dog reroute this policy might never have been changed. It was time. Little Coquito's legacy will live on! To many pets needlessly die in Cargo bins.
How many cats do you have?
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to