Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
what do airlines see in your PRIA >

what do airlines see in your PRIA

Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

what do airlines see in your PRIA

Old 03-11-2022, 06:27 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Egg320 View Post
I have spoken to other pilots who have a PRIA event or 2 such as a checkride failure etc but when a potential new employer looks at the new FAA PRD database nothing is showing up. They even ran a check on themselves on the PRD and saw nothing.

I don’t know if the potential new employer would then send off an old school PRIA request but this is what I have been told. I also watched an online video on the PRD where they say that your past employment history is only in the PRD if you the pilot actually enter it.

So I believe they get all the FAA PRIA stuff such as accidents, drug tests, failed checkrides etc. on the PRD regardless however not necessarily any past company history, training records etc, dismissal for performance or other etc.

Im not 100% sure on this but from watching the video this seems to be the case as you have control as to whether your past employment history goes in there.

The new employer could then potentially send of an old paper copy PRIA and FOIA but whether they would is anybodys guess. So definitely worth being honest in your interview about any past transgressions.
Last time I looked, PRD was missing stuff that I know is my FAA file. But the website says it only goes back to 2010, and tells you how to request info older than that.

Also any employer can FOIA most anything in your record except for privacy act stuff like medical records. Some majors used to do that.

So, yeah, be honest.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Per the rules of the new PRD, my now former 91 employer is supposed to participate, but I know for a fact they didn't, and knowing my former boss, he won't ever go to that effort. Will that cause me issues with a part 121 PRD/PRIA check?
Old 03-11-2022, 07:31 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by Pilot4000 View Post
Per the rules of the new PRD, my now former 91 employer is supposed to participate, but I know for a fact they didn't, and knowing my former boss, he won't ever go to that effort. Will that cause me issues with a part 121 PRD/PRIA check?
No. Airlines are required to request PRIA data, but there's no real enforcement mechanism for non-121 respondents.

They will expect to get a response from any US 121 carriers... the FAA would crack down on any airlines which didn't respond.

But 91 employers are not even required to keep PRIA records... if they do, they're *supposed* to respond but often don't. Airlines are used to this, and don't really care... they just have to fulfill the legal requirement by sending the request.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2021

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
No. Airlines are required to request PRIA data, but there's no real enforcement mechanism for non-121 respondents.

They will expect to get a response from any US 121 carriers... the FAA would crack down on any airlines which didn't respond.

But 91 employers are not even required to keep PRIA records... if they do, they're *supposed* to respond but often don't. Airlines are used to this, and don't really care... they just have to fulfill the legal requirement by sending the request.

How about the PRD? As I understand the rules, if the 91 operation has two or more turbine aircraft, they are supposed to participate.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:00 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

How about the PRD? As I understand the rules, if the 91 operation has two or more turbine aircraft, they are supposed to participate.

Not aware of that, but again airlines have very low expectations for applicant data from the 91 fly-by-night world.

The rules do not prevent them from hiring you if past employers don't provide their data. It happens every day.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:27 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Not "supposed to participate." Required to participate.

Part 91 operations are not required to make pilot selections based on PRD data, but are required to submit pilot records, including training, disciplinary, termination, etc.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2021

That makes me wonder - How do carriers evaluate the PRIA of ppl who have only recently converted their license to the FAA? I'm thinking of greencard holders and the likes of which there is a fair share coming over at the moment. These guys would essentially have anything of concern off the record? Would this pose an issue for hiring, i.e. would a 121 carrier be reluctant to hire someone whos records cannot be accessed as easily?
Old 05-09-2022, 08:39 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by tupues View Post
That makes me wonder - How do carriers evaluate the PRIA of ppl who have only recently converted their license to the FAA? I'm thinking of greencard holders and the likes of which there is a fair share coming over at the moment. These guys would essentially have anything of concern off the record? Would this pose an issue for hiring, i.e. would a 121 carrier be reluctant to hire someone whos records cannot be accessed as easily?
Not typically. They view PRIA more as a regulatory hoop to jump through. It's not their main decision-making reference. Due to distance and different laws, it might be harder for them to do their routine background checks on foriegn pilots. But they also have to be careful about appearing to discriminate against green-card holders... that's not legal.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:55 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Default Adverse PRIA

So I received a notice rescinding my CJO due to information in my PRIA file. I had the current employer send me training records and DOT records that they have to review my current “PRIA” file. They also said that the new company hasn’t even requested PRIA from the current employer. I checked PRD but it’s all clean too. Any idea where this adverse information maybe coming from ? I did check “yes” on 8060-11 to receive a copy of my file that’s sent to the new employer but haven’t received it yet. Am I supposed to receive a copy of the file the new employer used to make the adverse decision or will I never know ?

i just want to make sure there are no inaccuracies being reported because it may affect future jobs as well.

what options do I have ?
Old 05-22-2022, 06:07 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2022

I have a similar question. I recently accepted a CJO with a carrier. On my interview I was asked about my Checkride failures I mentioned my CSE and my CFII failures I mentioned 2 of my CSE and 1 CFiI but while explaining it I missed one of my CSE failure. Now I’m worried that even though I did disclose my failures on what checkride I failed since I missed one it might be something that I can get fired for on my PRIA check?