Afraid of first solo?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Always ask to borrow $50 cash before you step out of the aircraft.

Great motivational technique going back decades.
My first solo was around 25hrs. Student's need to pick a CFI they can trust and respect.
No one should be forced.
The question is, what are you afraid of exactly? What aspect of flying a plane you think you are not ready for?
Many many thanks, guys, for the kind words <3
i will think about all your advise and rethink the way and the perspective of solo flight.
I always wait until they have at least 25 hours. Regardless if they are ready or not I would not want to have the conversation with the FAA about why they went solo at 10 or 15 hours. You can always do the night landings, short field landing‘s, and soft field landing‘s as well as some airport hopping if you need to build up to 25 hours. These things need to be done shortly after solo so you might as well just do them before to build up more experience and increase the chances of them having a more successful solo.
Quote: I always wait until they have at least 25 hours. Regardless if they are ready or not I would not want to have the conversation with the FAA about why they went solo at 10 or 15 hours. You can always do the night landings, short field landing‘s, and soft field landing‘s as well as some airport hopping if you need to build up to 25 hours. These things need to be done shortly after solo so you might as well just do them before to build up more experience and increase the chances of them having a more successful solo.
It sounds like you’re projecting you shortcomings as an instructor onto your students, unfortunately. 25 hours “just because” is absurd.

I’ve had many students that soloed around 10 hours and a few that never did. The rest were somewhere in between. In every case, the soloed when they were ready, but most were well under 20 hours.

To mandate an arbitrary number just says you suck as an instructor and that you place more emphasis on a hypothetical defense against the FAA rather than meeting your students where they learn.

Get a syllabus and really learn how to teach it dude.
I have just started my PPL as got my very first lesson... also for me flying alone looks scary but looking forward to it ...as I gain more experience...
I also think no one should be forced...many students, especially with glider past are ready for solo after a couple of hours maybe 10... others need to gain more experience, need more self confidence... no rush.. even when ppl is only 45 hours as by the book.
I know people who had their first solo after 60+ hours. then what?
He has said, "I think I am ready now, I want to fly alone."
Here we go.

Some students you can let go, some say in advanced if they are not ready for this. But it 's never a rush and no one should be forced or in a hurry
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to