Become a CFI?

Subscribe
I’m currently an army fixed wing guy flying MC-12’s (King air 350). I have 5 years left on my ADSO and then will be free to apply at the airlines, it looks like I’ll have about 1500-1700 hours by then. I know that’s probably no where near enough to get hired directly at a major so I was wondering if it was smart to get my CFI from my local FBO and instruct. They have job openings and are looking for part time instructors. That would probably push me over the 2,000 hour mark when I’m leaving the service. I get out in 2023-2024 when retirements will be at their peak, so if it takes me extra years at a regional I’ll miss the big portion of the hiring wave. My only hesitation is wondering if those extra 300 hours will not be worth the effort because it isn’t turbine time. I’ve made some other posts already and always appreciate the quick feedback from this group. I’m trying to get on top of things early.
Every little bit helps.

Unless you can get a 91/135 job flying a turboprop on your days off, CFI is probably the best way for AD personnel to build time since is schedule is flexible and the customer is usually more flexible as well.

Getting over the 2K hump is good.

Checking more boxes on the app is good.

Actually working as a CFI is also good, particularly if you don't have mil instructor time.

But do your homework with regards to the DPE you use, failing a checkride would probably do more harm than 300 hours is worth.
Quote: I’m currently an army fixed wing guy flying MC-12’s (King air 350). I have 5 years left on my ADSO and then will be free to apply at the airlines, it looks like I’ll have about 1500-1700 hours by then. I know that’s probably no where near enough to get hired directly at a major so I was wondering if it was smart to get my CFI from my local FBO and instruct. They have job openings and are looking for part time instructors. That would probably push me over the 2,000 hour mark when I’m leaving the service. I get out in 2023-2024 when retirements will be at their peak, so if it takes me extra years at a regional I’ll miss the big portion of the hiring wave. My only hesitation is wondering if those extra 300 hours will not be worth the effort because it isn’t turbine time. I’ve made some other posts already and always appreciate the quick feedback from this group. I’m trying to get on top of things early.
Might be worth it to get a CFI anyway, as it adds points to your app, and will build your experience and knowledge base. That said, it’s the most failed checkride, so you could end up with a pink slip that you’ll have to report. Not a huge deal, just make sure you are ready for the ride. Will 300 hours in a Cessna help your app? Won’t hurt, but won’t add much. Another thing to consider, at peak retirement, the airlines will not have quite the pool they have now, so 1500-2000 hours may be competitive. But if you have to do 6-12 months at a regional, it won’t make a huge difference in your career IMO.
And teaching is a beautiful thing... (I am not CFI, but was teaching diving before).... a totally different experience, can get more hours, and aaaawww..... for people who are into teachning it seems much more fun, than just fly from A to B.

Quote: Every little bit helps.

Unless you can get a 91/135 job flying a turboprop on your days off, CFI is probably the best way for AD personnel to build time since is schedule is flexible and the customer is usually more flexible as well.

Getting over the 2K hump is good.

Checking more boxes on the app is good.

Actually working as a CFI is also good, particularly if you don't have mil instructor time.

But do your homework with regards to the DPE you use, failing a checkride would probably do more harm than 300 hours is worth.
Quote: I’m currently an army fixed wing guy flying MC-12’s (King air 350). I have 5 years left on my ADSO and then will be free to apply at the airlines, it looks like I’ll have about 1500-1700 hours by then. I know that’s probably no where near enough to get hired directly at a major so I was wondering if it was smart to get my CFI from my local FBO and instruct. They have job openings and are looking for part time instructors. That would probably push me over the 2,000 hour mark when I’m leaving the service. I get out in 2023-2024 when retirements will be at their peak, so if it takes me extra years at a regional I’ll miss the big portion of the hiring wave. My only hesitation is wondering if those extra 300 hours will not be worth the effort because it isn’t turbine time. I’ve made some other posts already and always appreciate the quick feedback from this group. I’m trying to get on top of things early.

I’d get the CFI. Don’t let a fear of failure hold you back. You’ll learn a lot in the 300hrs. Not hard to fly 100hrs a year giving part time instruction. I have no clue how the Mil does it, since the 350 is single pilot, CFI could help with CRM, if you fly it single pilot. Point being, give some 61 instruction, but also find a 141 college program that pretends to be an airline. You’ll pickup some stuff that will help with training down the road.
Become a CFI in your situation? Three word answer - yes, yes, yes.
I agree!

(if he is into teaching )

Quote: Become a CFI in your situation? Three word answer - yes, yes, yes.
Does your base have an aero club? Do these even still exist any more? That would be an ideal place for a part time military instructor.

Joe
Any chance of the IPC soon? You could just military-comp your CFI. ADSO is only one year and ADSOs run concurrently.