Notices
Military Military Aviation

Flight Engineer time towards R-ATP

Old 05-02-2022, 11:14 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by LowLevelAv8r View Post
Please clarify if I am wrong, but I have been told and read that 61.159/61.160 state to use the 3:1 FE time, one must have attended an FAA Authorized College defined by 61.1, and received their flight training (pilot) under Part 141. Am I wrong and given bad info? I have 1924 hours FE in a C-130 so I can max out the 500 hours, but told I cant use them because my college didnt have a FAA letter and most of my training is Part 61.

Go read 14 CFR 61.159(d)(2).

This predates all of the R-ATP crap about approved colleges. Military FE time counts. Period. So you're good.

Sounds like some flight school person with a reading comprehension problem has gone off half-cocked again?
Old 06-12-2022, 02:57 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2022

Originally Posted by USAFFlightEng View Post
Any other former Air Force FE's used their engineer time towards the restricted ATP mins? According to FAR 61.159 I am allowed to reduce the 1500 hour requirement by 1 hour for every 3 engineer hours up to 500 total hours reduced. I currently have about 1150 hours between C-130's and C-5's, hoping to use this rule to get to the airlines faster.
I just want to clarify that FE time CAN be used for both ATP and R-ATP. As long as you meet all the other requirements (Cross Country, Night PIC, etc...) you can totally use it. Most FEs get the R-ATP cause they don't have the full 500 Cross Country time to get the unrestricted one.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:18 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2022

Originally Posted by enginediver View Post
I just want to clarify that FE time CAN be used for both ATP and R-ATP. As long as you meet all the other requirements (Cross Country, Night PIC, etc...) you can totally use it. Most FEs get the R-ATP cause they don't have the full 500 Cross Country time to get the unrestricted one.
Does anyone know any FE that has been recently been hired as a pilot with a restricted ATP?
Old 10-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by ramos21ss View Post
Does anyone know any FE that has been recently been hired as a pilot with a restricted ATP?
I guarantee that any regional will hire almost anyone with an R-ATP, unless you have a lot of felonies.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:31 AM
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I guarantee that any regional will hire almost anyone with an R-ATP, unless you have a lot of felonies.
Are we talking violent felonies or financial crimes?
Old 10-13-2022, 08:57 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
Are we talking violent felonies or financial crimes?
They don't want you beating up pax or fellow employees.

But they don't really care if you drop the brake early, most people do that anyway.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:47 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2023
Question Has anyone done this recently?

I am a prior flight engineer turned pilot slowly approaching ATP mins. I have talked with several airlines about this exact situation and they all seem to be very confused about the whole process. Exactly what documentation do I need to bring to prove my hours as an FE and that it was in an approved aircraft. For reference, I was on the C-130J and while Lockheed doesn’t state it needs a flight engineer our NATOPS Flight Manuel required one due to our mission sets. I’m worried that I’ll show up to an interview and get sent away because I don’t meet the requirements. However on paper it seems like I got everything I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:10 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by RaiderFE View Post
I am a prior flight engineer turned pilot slowly approaching ATP mins. I have talked with several airlines about this exact situation and they all seem to be very confused about the whole process. Exactly what documentation do I need to bring to prove my hours as an FE and that it was in an approved aircraft. For reference, I was on the C-130J and while Lockheed doesn’t state it needs a flight engineer our NATOPS Flight Manuel required one due to our mission sets. I’m worried that I’ll show up to an interview and get sent away because I don’t meet the requirements. However on paper it seems like I got everything I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you're talking about a regional I'm pretty sure they'll bend over backwards to accommodate you at the interview. Bring all relevant docs.

Once you get into training, then you will want to bring the issue up early with the training manager so they have time to do any research they need to satisfy themselves that it's all legal. If you just show up for the checkride at the end and throw some FE time and mil docs on the table the APD likely won't feel comfortable with that since he's probably never seen it before, and would not have time to resolve it on the spot.

Yes there will be a disconnect between the interview team and the training dept, guaranteed.

Does the C-130J panel have airplane systems stuff, or just mission systems?
Old 01-27-2023, 07:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2022

Be sure you spell manual correctly in correspondence with the airline. (Not trying to be a d!ck but seems important)
Old 01-27-2023, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

Couldn’t find the type certificate data sheet for a L-382 but did find several for C-130s that have been converted to civilian registration. All are required to have to a Flight Engineer.