Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

[Breeze] Airways

Old 04-21-2022, 10:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

I read a bit on the airport and IF Breeze is able to execute, the plan makes sense. IF.

Originally Posted by DontLookDown View Post
The terminal is a joke. Parking is terrible as well for aircraft. Limited jet bridges and a reliance on hard stand parking
The local govt has been trying to expand HPN since at least 2017, but has met resistance from those that live near the airport. The expansion includes a parking garage.
I don't know the current status of the proposed expansion; it sounded like it still needed environmental surveys/approval.
But yes, from reading passenger reviews, the commercial terminal sounds like a dump.

One hurdle is the airport's commercial passenger capacity limitation of 240 passengers per half hour and four gate positions. This is increased during peak holiday travel periods. That sounds like a problem when there is inclement weather; I don't know if the limit is based on scheduled or actual traffic.

If Breeze executes in HPN as poorly as they have elsewhere (based on the reviews and data I've read), I would expect most passengers to avoid Breeze's product at HPN. The passengers that they will be catering to are very demanding, as is the rest of NYC area passengers. I do not enjoy flying in and out of the NYC area.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Still in one

I think the underserved market secondary idea has some serious traction if done right (reliable, frequency). EWR, LGA, JFK, LAX, etc at rush hours are a nightmare. I used to commute to NYC, took me longer to take a cab from LGA to JFK than my commute flight to LGA 😳 In another life used to drive 25 miles further to MKE than ORD because the drive was quicker and the airport so much easier. Those big market airports are not getting less crowded either…
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I read a bit on the airport and IF Breeze is able to execute, the plan makes sense. IF.

The local govt has been trying to expand HPN since at least 2017, but has met resistance from those that live near the airport. The expansion includes a parking garage.
I don't know the current status of the proposed expansion; it sounded like it still needed environmental surveys/approval.
But yes, from reading passenger reviews, the commercial terminal sounds like a dump.

One hurdle is the airport's commercial passenger capacity limitation of 240 passengers per half hour and four gate positions. This is increased during peak holiday travel periods. That sounds like a problem when there is inclement weather; I don't know if the limit is based on scheduled or actual traffic.

If Breeze executes in HPN as poorly as they have elsewhere (based on the reviews and data I've read), I would expect most passengers to avoid Breeze's product at HPN. The passengers that they will be catering to are very demanding, as is the rest of NYC area passengers. I do not enjoy flying in and out of the NYC area.

If passengers can get away from the major airports that have become a stressful nightmare with more people flying, they’ll do it and they’ll keep flying whoever can make that happen for them. Not to mention the cramped and abysmal service that legacies offer once you finally make it onboard. People of HPN are all about whoever can save them time. Time is money right??
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2018

When they say LAX, don't they mean San Bernadino? I thought I read that's where they're going into. Um can you say Ghetto. If these are truly higher income people they are attempting to lure, those people are in for a rude awakening. Ontario is about the furthest East you would want to go and it's still an hours drive to the coast.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2021

Originally Posted by Popeye0537 View Post
When they say LAX, don't they mean San Bernadino? I thought I read that's where they're going into. Um can you say Ghetto. If these are truly higher income people they are attempting to lure, those people are in for a rude awakening. Ontario is about the furthest East you would want to go and it's still an hours drive to the coast.
No they are going to both
Old 04-21-2022, 01:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2019

We didn’t even mention the mounds of bizjets and fracs that are based there. They also get center delays just like the big 3. The terminal will never get built. The super rich that have estates around it will block it for decades to come. This was an issue 15 years ago, same as today
Old 04-21-2022, 08:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2020
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
I think the underserved market secondary idea has some serious traction if done right (reliable, frequency). EWR, LGA, JFK, LAX, etc at rush hours are a nightmare. I used to commute to NYC, took me longer to take a cab from LGA to JFK than my commute flight to LGA 😳 In another life used to drive 25 miles further to MKE than ORD because the drive was quicker and the airport so much easier. Those big market airports are not getting less crowded either…
The reliability is key to serving this type of market. You cannot run a terrible operation with low frequency. But if the operation is clean, the low frequency can work very well. Allegiant and frontier have proven that.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by captnate702 View Post
The reliability is key to serving this type of market. You cannot run a terrible operation with low frequency. But if the operation is clean, the low frequency can work very well. Allegiant and frontier have proven that.
Allegiant and Frontier have first class?
Old 04-22-2022, 11:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

I wonder how many of the Westchester commercial flyers have status on UA/DL/AA and will make the drive in order to keep status for that family Athens trip next summer. Something flying Breeze won't help with.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:59 AM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

The Westchester area is known for lots of people can’t afford legacy prices….
(joke).