Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

[Breeze] Airways

Old 09-16-2022, 03:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Hello just wondering about the new Pvu base. How senior is it for capt and f.o. and how big on the 190 side and a220 side? Also is there still seat locks on 195 vs A220. Thanks for any info.
from what I was told there’s still a three year equipment lock but I don’t think there’s a seat lock.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:24 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2022
Default Type training

Hey I don't have any FAA part 121 experience however a decent amount of turbine time overseas. I've read on here that the training is not suited for those without previous 121 experience and how shocked some people are about Breeze taking on CFIs and no 121 experience people, however is training on a particular equipment be lets say...."easier", more suited/forgiving for those with less experience? Cheers
Old 09-19-2022, 11:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Anonymousyellow View Post
Hey I don't have any FAA part 121 experience however a decent amount of turbine time overseas. I've read on here that the training is not suited for those without previous 121 experience and how shocked some people are about Breeze taking on CFIs and no 121 experience people, however is training on a particular equipment be lets say...."easier", more suited/forgiving for those with less experience? Cheers
I suspect that the individuals struggling with Breeze training will struggle at any other airline. If you are competent with a good study ethic I don’t think you will have a problem.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: Deployed Reservist

Originally Posted by Anonymousyellow View Post
I was a CFI/Skydive/Caravan cargo feeder pilot who got crushed in 121 training at Trans States back in 08 when regionals, especially Hulas Kanodia's, didn't GAF. They'd just cram a MASSIVE class into an auditoruim, have you study the manual taking a bunch of regulations, systems, and flight planning related written exams and fail out 1/2 of us in the sims with some Flightsafety bum who evaluates from the start with no training. No pay. No housing. I spent the recession living off my wife as a house husband and struggling at various non aviation jobs (MW, sales, janitorial). An aviation degree gets you nowhere outside the cockpit. Then when demand picked up for pilots, I applied for a local Lear job on Linkedin for shots and giggles and found myself in a professional flight department with patient ex military instructors who gave AF and genuinely wanted to teach me how to fly a jet and a hands on non EFIS/FADEC jet at that. After 2 years in the Lear (where you still have to fly the plane most of the time) I moved on to Air Wisconsin to get my CTP/ATP and found a completely different regional training environment than 8 years prior. The class was SMALL. The instructors were captains FROM THAT AIRLINE. They instructed instead of evaluating, giving TONS of tips along the way, saving evaluation for the last 2 sessions at which point everything was ROCK SOLID. If you don't know what you're getting into, you'll get to discuss your failure at every interview for the rest of your life like I do. I have literally met military pilots who failed out of regional training the first time, one of which found himself in a similar Lear job at Aery Aviation. Things are getting better. No matter what happens, keep getting back up.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I suspect that the individuals struggling with Breeze training will struggle at any other airline. If you are competent with a good study ethic I don’t think you will have a problem.
This is normally the case. However, the 190 training here is mainly geared towards already typed, already 121 experienced pilots. Nothing says a non typed, new pilot can’t be successful, it’s just way more difficult. The instructors here aren’t going to spoon feed you.

For example, a problem I have seen is the “training supplement” (study guide) that is handed out. It’s extremely bare bones. It has almost nothing about limitations in it. Well any prior 121 pilot would know that you will have to know limitations. Some of the new hires ONLY put enough effort to read the study guide and assume that will be enough. We all know you have to crack open all of the other manuals at some point… but it seems like the zero to hero new hires lack that knowledge

All being said, any pilot who qualifies for an ATP shouldn’t fail out. It’s not that hard. You just have to be proactive and do a lot of extra self study
Old 09-21-2022, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by bonvoyage View Post
This is normally the case. However, the 190 training here is mainly geared towards already typed, already 121 experienced pilots. Nothing says a non typed, new pilot can’t be successful, it’s just way more difficult. The instructors here aren’t going to spoon feed you.

For example, a problem I have seen is the “training supplement” (study guide) that is handed out. It’s extremely bare bones. It has almost nothing about limitations in it. Well any prior 121 pilot would know that you will have to know limitations. Some of the new hires ONLY put enough effort to read the study guide and assume that will be enough. We all know you have to crack open all of the other manuals at some point… but it seems like the zero to hero new hires lack that knowledge

All being said, any pilot who qualifies for an ATP shouldn’t fail out. It’s not that hard. You just have to be proactive and do a lot of extra self study
Nobody should need to be spoon fed at the 121 level. As far as limitations I find it hard to believe Breeze’s training is so inept that pilots don’t know they need to study limitations.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
Nobody should need to be spoon fed at the 121 level. As far as limitations I find it hard to believe Breeze’s training is so inept that pilots don’t know they need to study limitations.
I don’t understand what you don’t understand here.

Their program is designed for people already familiar with 121 ops and training, and turbine equipment and systems. People that lack that base experience will struggle, as opposed to a training program like Skywest or MESA which is designed to take a 172 pilot and bring them into the airline world
Old 09-21-2022, 01:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jdub2 View Post
I don’t understand what you don’t understand here.

Their program is designed for people already familiar with 121 ops and training, and turbine equipment and systems. People that lack that base experience will struggle, as opposed to a training program like Skywest or MESA which is designed to take a 172 pilot and bring them into the airline world
You have limitations on a 172! Most majors test limitations and immediate action items to 100% for passing. No one at Breeze mentions that prior to the oral or written exam? It’s just simple memorization and has nothing to do with the quality of training.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Limitations are dumb. Single pack ops? It’s mentioned in the qrh and mel, why memorize that. Wheel speed? If I have to be moving that fast on the ground there’s a reason for it. Wipers? Every time it is a speed well above the wind just keeping the rain off the windshield anyways. Thrust, useless info determined under controlled circumstances with a brand new engine. People get wrapped up around limits for no reason. Yes, there are some that are important, most of the ones asked are just useless. There’s a reason there are color codes on an eicas.

end rant
Old 09-21-2022, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by kevin18 View Post
Limitations are dumb. Single pack ops? It’s mentioned in the qrh and mel, why memorize that. Wheel speed? If I have to be moving that fast on the ground there’s a reason for it. Wipers? Every time it is a speed well above the wind just keeping the rain off the windshield anyways. Thrust, useless info determined under controlled circumstances with a brand new engine. People get wrapped up around limits for no reason. Yes, there are some that are important, most of the ones asked are just useless. There’s a reason there are color codes on an eicas.

end rant
I hope you end up as the head of training somewhere good sir.