Search
Notices

[Breeze] Airways

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 12:05 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2022

Anyone have a good argument for applying to breeze over a regional?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2022, 12:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Anyone have a good argument for applying to breeze over a regional?

What do you mean? Because of how pay is up to 100 bucks an hour at the regionals now first year or in general?
Old 09-22-2022, 09:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: GearBbychoice

Originally Posted by Learjet FO View Post
I was a CFI/Skydive/Caravan cargo feeder pilot who got crushed in 121 training at Trans States back in 08 when regionals, especially Hulas Kanodia's, didn't GAF. They'd just cram a MASSIVE class into an auditoruim, have you study the manual taking a bunch of regulations, systems, and flight planning related written exams and fail out 1/2 of us in the sims with some Flightsafety bum who evaluates from the start with no training. No pay. No housing. I spent the recession living off my wife as a house husband and struggling at various non aviation jobs (MW, sales, janitorial). An aviation degree gets you nowhere outside the cockpit. Then when demand picked up for pilots, I applied for a local Lear job on Linkedin for shots and giggles and found myself in a professional flight department with patient ex military instructors who gave AF and genuinely wanted to teach me how to fly a jet and a hands on non EFIS/FADEC jet at that. After 2 years in the Lear (where you still have to fly the plane most of the time) I moved on to Air Wisconsin to get my CTP/ATP and found a completely different regional training environment than 8 years prior. The class was SMALL. The instructors were captains FROM THAT AIRLINE. They instructed instead of evaluating, giving TONS of tips along the way, saving evaluation for the last 2 sessions at which point everything was ROCK SOLID. If you don't know what you're getting into, you'll get to discuss your failure at every interview for the rest of your life like I do. I have literally met military pilots who failed out of regional training the first time, one of which found himself in a similar Lear job at Aery Aviation. Things are getting better. No matter what happens, keep getting back up.
Those were dark days there. Those of us that were captains were basically check airman without the pay. Inexperienced and ill equipped for flying the line.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:31 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by shortspatula View Post
What do you mean? Because of how pay is up to 100 bucks an hour at the regionals now first year or in general?

Sorry my question was a little open ended. I’m coming up on atp minimums and not sure what direction to take to get to the majors. Want to consider breeze as an option and wanted to hear what those with experience would think of starting a career at Breeze.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: A320 FO

Originally Posted by kevin18 View Post
Limitations are dumb. Single pack ops? It’s mentioned in the qrh and mel, why memorize that. Wheel speed? If I have to be moving that fast on the ground there’s a reason for it. Wipers? Every time it is a speed well above the wind just keeping the rain off the windshield anyways. Thrust, useless info determined under controlled circumstances with a brand new engine. People get wrapped up around limits for no reason. Yes, there are some that are important, most of the ones asked are just useless. There’s a reason there are color codes on an eicas.

end rant
Most modern training programs limit checked limitations to those items which are not placarded or otherwise readily available in the airplane (i.e. weight limits on the release). Some (United 75/76 unless changed recently) still require pilots to memorize the weights of multiple variants as a hazing ritual.

In general training programs are getting better in the age of EICAS and other systems that make it pointless to memorize random numbers.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:58 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by bonvoyage View Post
This is normally the case. However, the 190 training here is mainly geared towards already typed, already 121 experienced pilots. Nothing says a non typed, new pilot can’t be successful, it’s just way more difficult. The instructors here aren’t going to spoon feed you.

For example, a problem I have seen is the “training supplement” (study guide) that is handed out. It’s extremely bare bones. It has almost nothing about limitations in it. Well any prior 121 pilot would know that you will have to know limitations. Some of the new hires ONLY put enough effort to read the study guide and assume that will be enough. We all know you have to crack open all of the other manuals at some point… but it seems like the zero to hero new hires lack that knowledge

All being said, any pilot who qualifies for an ATP shouldn’t fail out. It’s not that hard. You just have to be proactive and do a lot of extra self study
If they're taking on E3 Aussies who have mainly done GA flying in the bush in a twin piston, surely the instructors would have some sort of lower expectations compared to a local with prior regional experience?
Old 09-22-2022, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Sorry my question was a little open ended. I’m coming up on atp minimums and not sure what direction to take to get to the majors. Want to consider breeze as an option and wanted to hear what those with experience would think of starting a career at Breeze.

It’s a crapshoot either way. If the Breeze finance department stops hindering growth by keeping pay low, Breeze may not make it (a new pay package is being worked on now though, for whatever that’s worth).The regionals may not survive as that pay may not be sustainable long term.

Depends, if you live in a Breeze base already, go to Breeze. If you have to commute, flip a coin.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2021

Originally Posted by bonvoyage View Post
It’s a crapshoot either way. If the Breeze finance department stops hindering growth by keeping pay low, Breeze may not make it (a new pay package is being worked on now though, for whatever that’s worth).The regionals may not survive as that pay may not be sustainable long term.

Depends, if you live in a Breeze base already, go to Breeze. If you have to commute, flip a coin.

I wouldn’t count on anything substantial, a couple of bucks increase. They love setting the bar as low as possible (allegiant style). Coming to breeze to be a commuter is not a great idea IMO. Commuting out of a hub, is much easier than let’s say ORF, BDL, PVD…..the charter stuff is commuter friendly but who knows if that will last.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:55 AM
Line Holder

Default Bases

What are the current junior and senior bases?
Old 09-24-2022, 07:00 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012

Originally Posted by shortspatula View Post
I hope you end up as the head of training somewhere good sir.
He wont. His common sense and ability to think for himself automatically disqualifies him from any management position in today’s airline industry.