Search
Notices

[Breeze] Airways

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 05:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2021

Originally Posted by Swanson View Post
Seems like we may be on a similar timeline. Was at RTAG for a meet and greet with AA but left more excited about the prospect of Breeze or FlexJet (as a former regional commuter, I guess I'm more attracted to the Charter). Breeze has been pretty responsive and asked for availability for a Live Interview between 7-9 November. Hopefully you received the same grouping dates as well.
Yup, I'm open those days just waiting to hear back.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by planejoe View Post
My total process from a few weeks ago from hitting submit on the app to final video interview was 9 days. Very fast & responsive. That being said I also gave them their requested documents same day. Helps to have an electronic logbook.
Nice! Mine is a little longer, but I hit submit WHILE at RTAG. So they were a bit busy I'm sure. Just coming off active duty, so my records had be converted already. They requested Friday, I sent it on Saturday morning
Old 10-29-2022, 06:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by Duckdude View Post
For me, this “raise” has resulted in a reduction of over $2500 in net income because of the tax brackets I have now been pushed into.
Getting a raise and being pushed into a higher tax bracket doesn’t reduce your net pay. The higher tax rate only applies to the AGI you make above that amount.[/QUOTE]

$2000/70=$28.57 previous non-taxed income

$211-$174=$37 increase overall

37-28.57=8.43 actual increase

8.43*70= $590 monthly increase in net pay.

this was hardly a raise. That 590 pushed me into new brackets so I’m netting less than pre raise.

I literally did the math and from federal taxes alone, this will cause a net reduction of $2500 for my take home pay for the year. With state taxes it will be even higher.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by Tpinks View Post
Getting a raise and being pushed into a higher tax bracket doesn’t reduce your net pay. The higher tax rate only applies to the AGI you make above that amount.

this was hardly a raise. That 590 pushed me into new brackets so I’m netting less than pre raise.

I literally did the math and from federal taxes alone, this will cause a net reduction of $2500 for my take home pay for the year. With state taxes it will be even higher.[/QUOTE]

That’s fine, you will get a bigger return
Old 10-29-2022, 07:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

It’s still a raise pinky. The divvy was $2000 wether you worked 70 mmg or 100 hrs. At least now it’s part of the hourly rate. Work more, make more.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:37 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2018

Getting a raise and being pushed into a higher tax bracket doesn’t reduce your net pay. The higher tax rate only applies to the AGI you make above that amount.

I literally did the math and from federal taxes alone, this will cause a net reduction of $2500 for my take home pay for the year. With state taxes it will be even higher.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I’m missing something but it looks to me like the new pay is on par with other LCCs on the CA side and as for the FO side it’s more than everyone else, even WN until you hit year 4. Why are you complaining about tax brackets?
Old 10-30-2022, 06:04 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Guys,
Can anyone provide any info about charter ops? I understand that it’s 7on 7 off , has mgmt been talking about doing 15/15 by chance ? Im contemplating commuting from overseas so I’m looking at my options.
Any advice on this ?

Thanks in advance .
Have a great weekend .
Old 10-30-2022, 07:30 AM
Line holder

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: On the bus,seat 0A

yes, after having looking through IRS pages and Regs, I believe the company is setting up pilots to get audited with this new program if they enroll. And the company has already flat out said they are not providing any support if that happens.

The previous commuting funds were indeed tax free though as it was through a tax free stipend. Now, W2’s are going to show wages earned and then a reduction which to me will immediately raise red flags with the IRS.

For me, this “raise” has resulted in a reduction of over $2500 in net income because of the tax brackets I have now been pushed into.
The previous commuting funds might have been provided tax free by the company, but that doesn't mean you weren't supposed to pay taxes on them. It has been explained several times that commuting from your domicile to your base is not a legal tax deductible/tax free expense, regardless of what the company did/said. I think they realized that and thus decided to roll it into taxable wages. This will raise 0 flags with the IRS.
It is possible your net income could be lower, but only because you were not declaring all your income correctly.
It is impossible that "getting pushed into higher brackets" will reduce your net income as long as the bracket you are getting into is less than 100% (spoiler: the rate is lower than 40%)

I think this is your calculation, if not apologies, but quoting is not working correctly:

8.43*70= $590 monthly increase in
net pay.

The $590 increase is gross pay, not net. And only those $590 will be taxed at the higher rate, not all of your pay. If you managed to get that taxed at 37%, your net pay will still be $4400 per year higher.

It is staggering how many people misunderstand tax brackets.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by symbian simian View Post
The previous commuting funds might have been provided tax free by the company, but that doesn't mean you weren't supposed to pay taxes on them. It has been explained several times that commuting from your domicile to your base is not a legal tax deductible/tax free expense, regardless of what the company did/said. I think they realized that and thus decided to roll it into taxable wages. This will raise 0 flags with the IRS.
It is possible your net income could be lower, but only because you were not declaring all your income correctly.
It is impossible that "getting pushed into higher brackets" will reduce your net income as long as the bracket you are getting into is less than 100% (spoiler: the rate is lower than 40%)

I think this is your calculation, if not apologies, but quoting is not working correctly:

8.43*70= $590 monthly increase in
net pay.

The $590 increase is gross pay, not net. And only those $590 will be taxed at the higher rate, not all of your pay. If you managed to get that taxed at 37%, your net pay will still be $4400 per year higher.

It is staggering how many people misunderstand tax brackets.
yes it was supposed to say gross.

We had the commuting stipend last year, everything was paid for by the company and receipts had to be turned in. Our W2’s did not include any type of mention of a stipend or anything to show non taxed income. So now that this is transferred into rates, it changes taxes in a major way.

Yes I’m getting 590 gross more per month but my taxable gross income has risen 2590 more per month. That is where the loss occurs.

At the end of the day, people can argue what is and isn’t taxable forever. However, the way company did it last year, there was zero accounting on the pilots side on their W2’s showing any kind of stipend. However, that will change with this new program as they have to somehow show the withholding as a reduction from someone’s normal hours worked and for that reason most people I have talked to has withdrawn from the Divy program.

as for being comparable to other’s rates… we are only just now comparable to everyone’s 2019/2020 rates. Everyone is in negotiations. Even Avelo is paying slightly more AND still giving a $1800 month commuting stipend on top of those rates.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019
Position: CA
Default The Future of Breeze Airways

In 2019, my money was on David Neeleman and the future success of Breeze. Given the wild past 2-3 years, I wonder how Breeze can maneuver through this current economic climate with rising rates, upward pressure on operating costs, and easily the most competitive labor market in decades. There is a bit of enigma behind their financial health because they're privately owned, but we've seen a lot of route cuts and route suspensions in conjunction with new city pairings/route announcements. Part of me thinks this is a good thing in that they're small, agile, and adaptive to following demand. Part of me also thinks this could be just as likely attributed due to an underperformance given all the industry forces at hand.

That said, how is the operation actually going? Are things continually improving and are you guys successfully growing? Are pilots content to stay or are they looking to go elsewhere given the current 121 hiring climate?