Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Alexa devices in hotel rooms

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015
Default Alexa devices in hotel rooms

Another hotel "feature", now your room will come complete with an always-on snooping device. Even if you unplug the device, the hotel would probably have already shared your name and room number (through the alexa device ID) with Amazon. Trip passes through Boston and you stay in an alexa-featured marriott? See Boston-specific ads all over your favorite websites for the next couple of months.

You're welcome.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon...exa-to-hotels/

Anyone want to bet that our hotel committees and companies aren't going to be able to anonymize us, and everything we do during trip rest periods is going to end up in Amazon's customer databases? Because declining to accept the hotel's new "privacy" policy would require a complete re-negotiation with the hotel over service contract terms.

A truly random check-in ID number would work but that would play hell with hotel scheduling especially for short notice reservations. Using employee numbers would simply add our employee number to whatever other marketing data Amazon already has on us, and there's no guarantee that the hotel won't just copy it down and add it to the reservation data passed to Amazon anyhow.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: Port Bus

Unplug the god damn thing and drop it off at the front desk. Done.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

How about that DCVRs in our airplanes, and now DHV&VRs in our hotel rooms. Beware, or embrace the moment... Alexa may be watching, laughing recording, and reporting your special ALONE TIME

Last edited by captjns; 06-20-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Some people put tape over the cameras on their company issued iPad. They fear they are being watched; by the same company that can barely keep the crew room WiFi up and running and ink ribbons stocked on the dot matrix printers at the gate.

Their is a lot of respect given to the capabilities of others when it comes to commercial grade electronics.

If someone wants to watch me walk out of the shower while I’m at the Crowne Plaza- grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. You’ll quickly find my life to be pretty boring.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by Pogey Bait View Post
Unplug the god damn thing and drop it off at the front desk. Done.
Except that as soon as you check in, the hotel sends your name to Amazon so that if you did use the alexa, they can add that to your consumer preferences database.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Seems like a job for the airlines’ hotel committees.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by FMGEC View Post
Some people put tape over the cameras on their company issued iPad. They fear they are being watched; by the same company that can barely keep the crew room WiFi up and running and ink ribbons stocked on the dot matrix printers at the gate.

Their is a lot of respect given to the capabilities of others when it comes to commercial grade electronics.

If someone wants to watch me walk out of the shower while I’m at the Crowne Plaza- grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. You’ll quickly find my life to be pretty boring.
It’s not your airline watching you on your company iPad it’s anyone.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

I have to wonder of some scientists are off in a cave somewhere wondering “ Does he REALLY beat off THAT much?” I apologize in advance for skewing all the data....
Old 06-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

^^^Stumble onto a surprise every now & then perusing these pages.
Now is one of those times.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

the paranoia runs strong in some people