Why no 2nd jumpseat for 737 in the contract?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 10
Go to
We successfully lobbied for 2nd jumpseat contract provisions with regard to the 757's that only have one installed. We have to remove a paying passenger to seat the 2nd jumpseater.

Why not have that for the 737 since the company is unwilling to retrofit the 2nd j/s into the older NG airframes? It's wonderful that the new deliveries have two, but we have far more 737's with only one j/s.

Thoughts?
Quote: We successfully lobbied for 2nd jumpseat contract provisions with regard to the 757's that only have one installed. We have to remove a paying passenger to seat the 2nd jumpseater.

Why not have that for the 737 since the company is unwilling to retrofit the 2nd j/s into the older NG airframes? It's wonderful that the new deliveries have two, but we have far more 737's with only one j/s.

Thoughts?
That was negotiated pre-merger as part of the UAL contract. When the merger happened, none of the CAL guppies had 2 jumpseats, so we inherited that. At least now its been corrected. Maybe in the new contract they’ll negotiate something like that. Would be nice.
You remove a paying passenger to accommodate a 2nd jumpseater who is technically using a jumpseat that's not installed?
No thanks....it’s crowded enough
Have you ever ridden in the second jumpseat of a 737? If they make it a cabin seat, then I would ride in the second jumpseat.
Quote: You remove a paying passenger to accommodate a 2nd jumpseater who is technically using a jumpseat that's not installed?
All our jets minus the guppies have two jumpseats. The 757 provision was a way to force the companies hand to install the second jumpseat. What he’s getting at is we need to do the same on the guppy. Cramped or not, sometimes it means getting to to work or home.
Cramped or not . Better than me loosing thousands of dollars for a lost trip . Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to but def would if it got me home or to a good trip.

I did sit in the 2nd jump once from Vegas to Tampa in a 73-500 I have not recovered from this flight , mentally or physically
Quote: Cramped or not . Better than me loosing thousands of dollars for a lost trip . Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to but def would if it got me home or to a good trip.

I did sit in the 2nd jump once from Vegas to Tampa in a 73-500 I have not recovered from this flight , mentally or physically
I landed from SEA-LAX and an Alaska captain said to me after riding the number two jump “next time don’t ask for my Jumpseat if you know you’re going to be on the second jump...that was really uncomfortable for me.”

Me. “....WHAT!?”
There is no room in that POS for a second JS. Well, unless both the Captain and the second JS'r are jockey's or...

It's his JS, not yours because you showed up and needed a ride. I did it once on SWA before I ever flew it, and I never will again. A buddy took the port seat, and my fat a$$ was jammed in the center. If you feel as though he was out of line, I don't understand your umbrage. He did you a favor.

I fly with the seat at the aft stops on every Boeing I've ever worked with the exception of the Triple, so I appreciate and fully understand his opinion.
If my memory serves correct the company was installing the second jumpseat but stopped for financial reasons. This policy was a remedy for the second jumpseat on lieu of restarting the installation program.

The first time I saw the policy utilized was in IAH. The faces of the CS agent and supervisor once they realized they had to pull a passenger was priceless and something I'll never forget.

Props to James, the Godfather, for mentioning that the jumpseat is the Captain's. A fact that is often overlooked not only by the pilots but the company as well.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 10
Go to