Stupid job fair question

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Something I've never been clear on. The major job fairs seem to be sponsored by aviation groups that focus on a specific demographic (OBAP, NGPA, WAI). Do those of us in the hopeless majority (straight white males) typically attend these events? I don't want to go and have problems with recruiters because I don't "belong".

On another note, are these job fairs even worth attending? I keep hearing that the legacy carriers especially are starting to host their own events instead.
Follow the money...

The aviation groups in question have something the majors want: Diversity, or at least the appearance of trying. So the majors show up.

The majors have something the masses of non-diverse pilots want: Jobs. So the non-diverse pilots show up.

The non-diverse pilots have something the aviation groups want: Money. So the aviation groups let them in.

Most of those job fairs will be 90% non-diverse pilots, you'll fit right in.
Quote: Something I've never been clear on. The major job fairs seem to be sponsored by aviation groups that focus on a specific demographic (OBAP, NGPA, WAI). Do those of us in the hopeless majority (straight white males) typically attend these events? I don't want to go and have problems with recruiters because I don't "belong".

On another note, are these job fairs even worth attending? I keep hearing that the legacy carriers especially are starting to host their own events instead.
I am only attest to WAI, as I've been there before. It's an inclusive group that anyone can join. The "job fair" is actually a great conference with all kinds of seminars with great info and people talking of their experiences. If you attend the "job fair" part of it, you miss out on a lot of good info and awesome people.
Should I convert my ICAO ATP to an FAA ATP before I attend a job fair?

It’s scholarship season for WAI, the winners will be announced at the 2019 Conference. I’m trying to decide if I should:
1. Apply for a scholarship for the ATP CTP course, express interest for an airline at the conference, and apply once I have my FAA ATP.
2. Pay for and take the course to meet all the requirements before the conference.

Thank you.
It’s not an ICAO ATP, it’s an ATPL issued by a nation that is compliant with ICAO FCL standards and recommended prodeures.

GF
Quote: It’s not an ICAO ATP, it’s an ATPL issued by a nation that is compliant with ICAO FCL standards and recommended prodeures.

GF
Yes, I have an ATPL issued by the Civil Aviation Authority of the country I’m based in, which is a member of the ICAO. I prefer to type ICAO ATP to keep it short. It’s incorrect, but I think understood. Thanks for the correction.
I went to a NGPA event once even though I dont meet the "demographic". I had a blast and met some good contacts that will hopefully help me network once I get my Commercial. Great people!

Dont worry about the "demographic" of the event. Get along and start networking!
Quote: I went to a NGPA event once even though I dont meet the "demographic". I had a blast and met some good contacts that will hopefully help me network once I get my Commercial. Great people!

Dont worry about the "demographic" of the event. Get along and start networking!
Everybody who goes to that one denies being a member of the demographic...
Quote: Everybody who goes to that one denies being a member of the demographic...
Luckily I have a wife and four kids for plausible deniability. Dont blow my fabulous cover
Another stuipd job fair question... where/when do airlines post if they're going to be at job fairs? Just keep up with TPN?
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to