Embarking on a new journey

Subscribe
Hey folks!

A little about myself, I'm 25, retired USAFR, have a degree in business mgmt. After 3 years of working in a non-aviation job/career, it feels like I'm still not satisfied of what I have accomplished or currently doing. I've always had a passion for aviation since I was a little kid.

I remember going inside of the cockpit of a 747 (Qantas Airways) when I was 5 or 6 years old heading to Australia for a vacation, that was when I fell in love with aviation.

As I mentioned above I am now a veteran (USAFR). While in the military I got my degree in business mgmt. I have spoken with numerous air force pilots and their most common advice is to not major in professional pilot - get a degree in something different and so I did.

After graduating college I kinda got sidetracked from aviation since I was 'kinda' loving managing people/business.

---------------------------------------------

I am now ready to pursue a career in aviation and go after my dreams! I will need to settle my student loans first but I am ready to start flight school starting next year - I know I am posting this thread a little too early, but I just wanted to get the right information so I can start planning my journey and know where to spend my money.

I plan on getting my PPL and Instrument Rating on a local flight school here in Kansas City and I have found a really cheap flight school. I also plan on paying it as I go since I have a full time job - I don't want to rack up a lot of debts, but If I have to take out a loan in future I will.

Here is my only question for now - but will follow up some questions in the upcoming weeks/months on this same thread.

1. Should I also get my Commercial and CFI Ratings through them or should I go somewhere else? Or should I go into a cadet program through a regional airline?

Thank you much for reading and answering my question

Jeff
Quote: Hey folks!

A little about myself, I'm 25, retired USAFR, have a degree in business mgmt. After 3 years of working in a non-aviation job/career, it feels like I'm still not satisfied of what I have accomplished or currently doing. I've always had a passion for aviation since I was a little kid.

I remember going inside of the cockpit of a 747 (Qantas Airways) when I was 5 or 6 years old heading to Australia for a vacation, that was when I fell in love with aviation.

As I mentioned above I am now a veteran (USAFR). While in the military I got my degree in business mgmt. I have spoken with numerous air force pilots and their most common advice is to not major in professional pilot - get a degree in something different and so I did.

After graduating college I kinda got sidetracked from aviation since I was 'kinda' loving managing people/business.

---------------------------------------------

I am now ready to pursue a career in aviation and go after my dreams! I will need to settle my student loans first but I am ready to start flight school starting next year - I know I am posting this thread a little too early, but I just wanted to get the right information so I can start planning my journey and know where to spend my money.

I plan on getting my PPL and Instrument Rating on a local flight school here in Kansas City and I have found a really cheap flight school. I also plan on paying it as I go since I have a full time job - I don't want to rack up a lot of debts, but If I have to take out a loan in future I will.

Here is my only question for now - but will follow up some questions in the upcoming weeks/months on this same thread.

1. Should I also get my Commercial and CFI Ratings through them or should I go somewhere else? Or should I go into a cadet program through a regional airline?

Thank you much for reading and answering my question

Jeff
First off, congrats on deciding to make the switch! You and I are in a very similar circumstance. I graduated college (Not USAF) and started working full time, I always wanted to be an airline pilot but when i graduated High School the industry was in the tank and everyone i talked to recommended getting a degree in something non-aviation related. Fast forward 7 years and after pushing paper for 2.5 years I will finally begin full time training in November with Republic's LIFT Academy.

If you can make the pay as you go option work, do it. I tried to make it happen, unfortunately I don't make enough money right now to pay for flight training and also pay the bills... So getting a loan was the next best option. I will tell you that flight training while working 40+ hours a week is hard and exhausting but definitely the way to go if you can make it work.

Sorry i didn't really answer your question, just wanted to share my story as ours are very similar. Best of luck!
I see you are clear of the reserves, what are the possibillities of going back into the briar patch by rushing the Air Guard? Too soon?
I would go full speed ahead with the PP training and license. After that keep progressing forward.