FedEx to United

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  13 
Page 3 of 17
Go to
I’d rather be at FDX than a pax legacy, but that’s just me. I like flying nights and live in domicile.

Where you want to live the flying you want to do should make the decesion for you assuming you have a class date at both airlines.
Quote: Just me guessing, but not everyone cut out for long haul international flying. He got assigned the 777 and realized being away from mama 10+ days in row won’t cut it. Or got assigned the A300 and the night train won’t cut it. So why did you apply with FedEx? Because they were hiring?
Butt hurt because someone’s leaving Fedex?
There are so many reasons to fly for United.
1. The guppy
2. The Uber guppy
3. Flight attendants
4. We treat our passenger’s luggage better than we treat doctors.
5. Cleveland base (for now)
I could go on.
Quote:
Biggest differences: we carry mostly people, and we use the sun shade...a lot.

Hog
You missed a few... FA Drama, drunk passengers, being asked for directions to baggage claim, multiple leg days, TSA, gate agent captains, YouTube social media justice warrior/producers, screaming kids and the ever popular comfort animal.
Quote: You missed a few... FA Drama, drunk passengers, being asked for directions to baggage claim, multiple leg days, TSA, gate agent captains, YouTube social media justice warrior/producers, screaming kids and the ever popular comfort animal.
Those things prevent boredom. Who wants to ski on a bunny slope with no moguls?
Fedex, if you live in Memphis, is the best job on the planet. Great opportunity, great compensation, your pay per actual hour of flight time is astronomical, great flexibility with line bidding not PBS, and a variety of flying as long as you can handle mostly night flying.

And if you commute FEDEX may be the best place to commute. But commuting long term is a grind. Location can very much determine your best choice.

But if you don’t want to live in Memphis and want to live in ORD, the Northeast, the West Coast, Houston, or Denver, then United just might be a better fit. 2 years approx to get into Denver/ORD/IAH. You will fly more hours yearly, take longer to make Captain or get to a Widebody, deal with way more customers and taxiing in and around terminals, and get to wear that stupid hat in the fall and winter unless it magically disappears like the Captain’s did years ago when he left it on his pension one night. You will fly nights too at UAL on the widebody and the 737.

Full disclosure: Hired both places. Was in Fedex pool over 2 years while at United. No doubt would have gone to Fedex right away. Was my number 1 choice, and would have moved to Memphis. But stayed at UAL and no regrets. Like the mix of flying and living in base and company trajectory is good. But hey I am an airline pilot and so what do I know?
Never understand why some get all butt hurt when a pilot wants to leave company ABC for company XYZ.

I was furloughed from UAL twice....last furlough I had a FEDEX job offer but I could not stand MEMPHIS. I had to leave!

Never looked back...
Quote: I’m guessing from your avatar and handle that you’re not from the regional world. Allow me to summarize that experience:

1) Apply and interview EVERYWHERE.
2) Thank sweet baby Jesus when you get out.
3) Work on getting that ultimate dream job.

For some, step 3 is achieved coincident with step 2 (myself included). I’m not surprised at all that many others keep looking, some in ways that you or I may not understand...
Good point! A buddy of mine would leave any legacy for FedEx simply because that’s where he wants to live.

BTW, not butt hurt! Could care less who leaves FedEx and why.
My MD11 time was with neither FedEx nor UPS.
Funny thing about these threads;

While guys get wrapped up in the time off/paycheck/schedule/domicile/“I’m the smartest guy on the planet because I chose A over B” d1ck measuring contest they can’t just STHU and be grateful that pilots have the varied options they do now.

Whereas 15+ years ago and AA/DAL/UAL/AA/USAir/NW was ass over tea kettle/topsy turvey/royally fornicated.

And the guys that simply don’t have a clue or just a short memory would have been begging/pleading to go to work for, in this case, FedEx. Who would NOW be able to hold a WB CA’s seat with a choice of flying. SD trips with front/back end first class DH’s, using deviation bank for commuting, etc.

Especially, well, I don’t know, a junior furloughed pilot hires pre 9/11.....

It’s “just me”, but I think my favorite is “I never wanted to fly boxes so I never applied to FX/UPS”. Heard from pilots that were hired here, with NO TPIC, when FX/UPS had it as a requirement vs. “preferred” and they couldn’t even apply anyway.
I could care less where somebody wants to fly and who they do it for. For me personally I wouldn’t ever want to fly night freight again. If I never have to fly multiple legs into the sort. Sit for three hours and then fly a couple of legs out after having been up all night that would be to soon.

I HATE night freight flying plain and simple. I don’t care if it pays twice as much and has more days off. I don’t ever want to do it again. That was the most miserable flying I ever did.

That’s my take on it. Your mileage may vary.
Quote: I could care less where somebody wants to fly and who they do it for. For me personally I wouldn’t ever want to fly night freight again. If I never have to fly multiple legs into the sort. Sit for three hours and then fly a couple of legs out after having been up all night that would be to soon.

I HATE night freight flying plain and simple. I don’t care if it pays twice as much and has more days off. I don’t ever want to do it again. That was the most miserable flying I ever did.

That’s my take on it. Your mileage may vary.
Wow. Sounds horrible, where the heck was that?! I wouldn’t either. Our worst, most heinous trips at FedEx aren’t even that bad.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  13 
Page 3 of 17
Go to