CFI Checkride Chicago Area

Subscribe
I am training for my initial CFI in the Chicago area at KLOT. Any idea of DPEs in the area that will do this exam?
Federal Aviation Administration - Designee Locator

Designee Type ˅ FIE - Flight Instructor Examiner
FAA Office ˅ GL03 - DUPAGE FLT STDS DIST OFFICE
>Search<

http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp
It’s been 5 years for me but doesn’t the FAA assign a DPE after you request and Initial CFI ride with the Feds?
As in they have the right to first refusal?
Tired soul is correct. I just endorsed a successful applicant and you submit the application to the FSDO and they respond fairly quickly whether or not they can accommodate your request for a Initial CFI checkride. If they cannot, the FSDO sends you a list of approved DPEs that can administer the ride.
So from what you are saying I understand that I cannot just call up a DPE and ask them to do the checkride? I did not know it was like this and that you had to do it with the FSDO. Thanks again.
From what I have heard it depends on the FSDO, but generally the policy has been that you first contact the FSDO and they decide if the ride will be with an Inspector or DPE. Some FSDOs will allow you to pick the DPE, and I have heard of others assigning you to a certain DPE. For a period of time my local FSDO was doing every CFI ride, other times they were sending them all to DPEs due to staffing. I'd call in and check with them first. I suppose if you directly called a DPE they could give you the scoop as well.