Sim instructor position for resume

Subscribe
I have the opportunity to become a sim instructor at my current shop. I’m wondering how beneficial it is to be a sim instructor to get on with a major. I know LCA is better, but that’s a senior gig at my shop.

I’m sitting around 4500TT with 1,000 121 TPIC. I have some union volunteer experience, and I’m just looking to build that resume.

Thoughts?
It's way better than being a generic line pilot... once you have the time, more boxes to check, shows they trust not only your technical skills but also your leadership/organization abilities.

In your case, you're a bit low on TT and TPIC. I would have some angst taking time off from the line in your shoes. But 121 LCA/SIM/CP is very good ticket to punch, and the opportunities are rare. I would hesitate to turn it down. The decision would be influenced by how much line flying I would still do as a SIM guy (I knew guys who never flew the line for months on end in the regionals).
It is a rare opportunity. Sim guys only fly to be current here unfortunately. Figured I could do it for 6-12 months, and then go back.
I actually enjoyed my time instructing in a sim, but I did find that my raw skills deteriorated when not flying regularly.

Years ago I entertained a FSI position, because it offered regular hours close to home, benefits, etc. In the interview, which went very well, the retiree-interview panel noted "You'll be operating a simulator, rather than flying, and we're looking for long term staff. Are you prepared to end your flying career today?"

Great position, but no, I wasn't. I spent a lifetime building and maintaining that career, form the time I was in my early teens. I wasn't prepared to end it that day, or even put it on hold for a few. years. Like I said, I have enjoyed operating a sim and teaching in one, and I'd do it again, but I'd rather be in an actual cockpit. You may find that it works for you; there's only one way to find out.
Quote: It's way better than being a generic line pilot... once you have the time, more boxes to check, shows they trust not only your technical skills but also your leadership/organization abilities.

In your case, you're a bit low on TT and TPIC. I would have some angst taking time off from the line in your shoes. But 121 LCA/SIM/CP is very good ticket to punch, and the opportunities are rare. I would hesitate to turn it down. The decision would be influenced by how much line flying I would still do as a SIM guy (I knew guys who never flew the line for months on end in the regionals).
Found the answer... flying averages 4 times a quarter, about once a month. That’s around 5 hours of flight time a month.

They want a 5 month contract.
Probably a good option for you in the interim. How is the HIMS process going?
It’s going. My SI medical allows me to fly provided I follow the requirements.
Quote: Found the answer... flying averages 4 times a quarter, about once a month. That’s around 5 hours of flight time a month.

They want a 5 month contract.
That's not too bad, I thought it was a year. One of the reasons I left was the sim carrot got dangled and it was a lot of money. I had to decide if I wanted to be an airline pilot, or join DB and the boys as a professional sim guy and rake in the bank. Afraid I'd never be able to pry myself away.