Free FAA testing, weird situation

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: They booted you because you were not 20/20?
The navy would drop you like a hot potato. Needed 20/20 up until wings, then you could get glasses. And they did spot checks along the way. Really wanted to preserve that 20/20 culture I guess.
I had 20/30 and was fine (OCS in 2001).

I was already in the Navy pre OCS though.
Quote: I received an administrative discharge due to medical reasons during Officer Candidate School. I did receive an official DD214 for the month I was in.
BTW, Depending on the State you live in, you may be able to get "Veteran" placed on your Drivers License by presenting your DD214 with an Honorable Discharge. A medical discharge is usually service under honorable conditions.
Some "civilian" benefits include; discounts at restaurants, Home depot, college tuition savings, etc....Just a thought.
Quote: Length of Service Criteria for Veteran Status
For people who enlisted prior to September 8, 1980, no minimum length of service is necessary to be considered a veteran for most VA benefits. However, certain minimum length of service requirements apply to people who enlisted on or after September 8, 1980. The general requirement is the “full period” for which the servicemember was called or ordered to active duty or, if less, 24 months of continuous active duty.

Several exceptions exist to this rule. For example, service-connected disability compensation benefits are exempt from the length of service requirement. Thus, a veteran with a disease or injury incurred during active service generally may receive service-connected compensation for that disability.
Other exceptions to the minimum service requirements include claims for VA life insurance benefits, hardship discharges, and persons retired or separated from service because of a service-related disability.

If the former servicemember did not serve for the full period of active duty and served less than 24 months, and none of the statutory exceptions apply, then the veteran did not complete a minimum period of active duty and is “not eligible for any benefit under Title 38, United States Code or under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs based on that period of active service.

Not sure how the FAA judges veteran status. This is simply the VA definition.
Also,I think if you have 180 days of active duty service you can get a VA certificate for a housing loan.
Doesn’t matter. You need an ID card to take advantage of on base services. As I recall, the FAA tests were only free for active and reserve anyway. Spend the $75 and do it off base.
PRK? Not LASIK?

Was there a reason for that? Typically vision takes longer to stabilize after treatment with PRK and is more prone to complications.

Please tell me you didn't have PRK done and try to sneak it by before you went in active duty in hopes of getting a flying slot. The military has been watching for that since the 1980s.
Quote: PRK? Not LASIK?

Was there a reason for that? Typically vision takes longer to stabilize after treatment with PRK and is more prone to complications.

Please tell me you didn't have PRK done and try to sneak it by before you went in active duty in hopes of getting a flying slot. The military has been watching for that since the 1980s.
For a long time the Navy only accepted PRK, LASIK was no go due to concerns about the flap coming loose in an ejection.

RK never allowed, for good reasons.
Quote: They booted you because you were not 20/20?
Sounds like the DOR vs redesignation route after failing a flight physical..l
Quote: Sounds like the DOR vs redesignation route after failing a flight physical..l
I agree because you don’t need 20/20 to be a NFO or any other type of officer in the Navy
Not necessarily. The Navy redesignates at their discretion. When I was a student, all DORs and attrites redesignated, the vast majority as SWOs.
When I was an instructor, I saw guys who graduated from the academy/ROTC in the spring decide to DOR and they were on the streets with less than a year of active duty.
It changes all the time and if you pick up a specific designator for OCS and are found to be physically nonqualified, it is a lot easier to just do an entry level separation and be done with someone.

To the OP, just pay for it at a testing center. I was active duty and rather than deal with the red tape to get the test done on base, I just went to my local FBO. Much mo bettah.
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to