What extra tasks are you expected to perform?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Hi there,

I was wondering what non-flying tasks pilots at the large US fractionals are expected to perform.

I know flight planning is done by Dispatch and I know you deal with the pax, their bags (together with FBO staff), you clean, load the catering, re-stock etc.

I'm specifically interested in maintenance tasks such as engine oil services and data base updates. Do you have to do those? Sometimes? Always? Never? It would be great if you could state in your response which company you refer to. (NJA, Flex etc)

Thanks guys

GA
Quote: Hi there,

I was wondering what non-flying tasks pilots at the large US fractionals are expected to perform.

I know flight planning is done by Dispatch and I know you deal with the pax, their bags (together with FBO staff), you clean, load the catering, re-stock etc.

I'm specifically interested in maintenance tasks such as engine oil services and data base updates. Do you have to do those? Sometimes? Always? Never? It would be great if you could state in your response which company you refer to. (NJA, Flex etc)

Thanks guys

GA
At NetJets, in addition to all the expected duties (loading bags, catering, stocking and cleaning, etc.) most fleets are required to service their own engines with oil, order and supervise oxygen service (if not leaking, it’s considerd a “consumable”), and, on many fleets, perform the database updates. It’s nothing you wouldn’t do in the corporate Part 91 world so I don’t see it as a very big deal.

The company has opened several “Service Hubs” at busy airports to perform more of the stocking and cleaning duties but I haven’t seen that happen yet outside of White Plains. That program is still a work in progress.
And as clarification, the crews are generally checking the oil level and ordering/supervising the servicing from FBO personnel, not physically pouring the oil themselves.
Quote: And as clarification, the crews are generally checking the oil level and ordering/supervising the servicing from FBO personnel, not physically pouring the oil themselves.
Thankfully, my airplane has an engine oil reservoir and a pump system to replenish the oil in the engine that the crewmember operates. I wouldn’t let an FBO Joe put coffee on my airplane, let alone engine oil. Certified A&P, maybe. Line guy? No way.

And before you think I’m being judgemental, my first job in aviation was as a PLST certified FBO line guy.
Quote: Thankfully, my airplane has an engine oil reservoir and a pump system to replenish the oil in the engine that the crewmember operates. I wouldn’t let an FBO Joe put coffee on my airplane, let alone engine oil. Certified A&P, maybe. Line guy? No way.

And before you think I’m being judgemental, my first job in aviation was as a PLST certified FBO line guy.
Agreed! No way I would let a line guy do anything but pour the gas, tow the plane, or do a lav.
Quote: Thankfully, my airplane has an engine oil reservoir and a pump system to replenish the oil in the engine that the crewmember operates. I wouldn’t let an FBO Joe put coffee on my airplane, let alone engine oil. Certified A&P, maybe. Line guy? No way.

The line guys do fine.

$5 goes a long way. White shirts need to stay white.
Quote: The line guys do fine.

$5 goes a long way. White shirts need to stay white.
Yep, nothing worse than a dirty limo driver.
What extra tasks are you expected to perform?
Quote: Yep, nothing worse than a dirty limo driver.

Lol.

Ferrari driver. It’s a Ferrari!

[emoji1787]

I didn’t go to flight school so I could service the jet. NetJets doesn’t contract services with FBO partners so that can only fill fuel.

It’s a full service business.

Most times, pilots make the job harder than it needs to be as a solution is just a phone call or a request away.

Another way to look at it is, disability payments don’t go that far if I fall off the ladder.
Quote: Lol.

Ferrari driver. It’s a Ferrari!

[emoji1787]

I didn’t go to flight school so I could service the jet. NetJets doesn’t contract services with FBO partners so that can only fill fuel.

It’s a full service business.

Most times, pilots make the job harder than it needs to be as a solution is just a phone call or a request away.

Another way to look at it is, disability payments don’t go that far if I fall off the ladder.
You didn't go to flight school to restock peanut M&Ms either, yet there you are...
Quote: You didn't go to flight school to restock peanut M&Ms either, yet there you are...

We have Peanut M&Ms?!??

Who’s been holding out!!!!!
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to