Career Intermission Program

Notices
Military Military Aviation

Career Intermission Program

Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Follow up:

CIP continues to be awesome and the folks in AFPC that manage this have blown me away with their customer service. My airline has been great as well and I am confident they wouldn't object to my participation any more than they'd object to a Guard/Reserve member's normal participation. I'm on the line now and halfway through consolidation.

I requested early return to the AF [from the 1-star] and it was approved, so I'll be doing a little less than a full year. This is a big win for me since I don't need to do a full two years back on active duty to meet some other goals and the timing is going to work out great with the arrival of my new baby girl and my wife's return to the workplace. I've got one month of UPT commitment left so technically my commitment will end in FY2020, and if there's a one or two year AvB available I may try to double dip that with my CIP ADSC.

Between my VA disability, company paycheck and company retirement contributions, it hasn't been much of a pay cut.

I'm working on getting my next assignment now. From my brief interactions with the functional, he's very on board with CIP and has asked me to continue to spread the word. I looked into ROTC since their RSAP rules have changed but my timing isn't going to work out very well and there's still that OTS **** sandwich in the ROTC assignment mix. In lieu of that I'm trying to take an assignment that will let me keep my wife near her family, otherwise it'll be back to my MWS. Even with only ~2 years of retainability and a requal obligation the functional says it's still worth it; desperate for IP MWS bodies as always. I'll notify the company of mil leave as soon as I have orders in hand, which will likely be several months before I have to leave.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:15 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Anyone out there do this recently? If so could you PM me as I have a few questions…
Old 10-26-2022, 05:42 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2021

Originally Posted by 135tankerdriver View Post
Anyone out there do this recently? If so could you PM me as I have a few questions…
Did you ever have anyone message you? I’m looking for some info as well!
Old 11-30-2022, 07:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Big ones

Curious about an update from the initial poster
Old 12-09-2023, 01:19 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by tripled View Post
Curious about an update from the initial poster
I've always said it's better to be lucky than good.

I'm back with my airline, off probation, several thousand line numbers beneath me and super senior in my BES.
I could hold a line as a CA in most bases.
I retired from AD earlier this year and am a check-of-the-month club member, which is awesome because I don't need to fly 100 hours/month. Or even 50.
I took AvB on my RTAD assignment because of CoVID and the threat of furlough. I also got paid ~$85k by my airline for my 401 contributions after I returned, so it was like a double AvB.
Everything was super smooth. Mil leave was a non-event. No one at the company cared, communicated with me about my mil leave or really batted an eye about anything. I did miss my O-5 board because I didn't have 6 months supervision when I returned, and then the next year they skipped boards because of rule changes, and then my third year I got passed over because I didn't bother starting ACSC. And I totally don't care, life is so much better on this side and I make 2x what I made on AD. Probably wouldn't have pinned on before I retired even if I had made it anyways! I didn't have to ask for continuation since I'm prior E.

I consider myself supremely lucky I discovered CIP, especially when I was going to walk away from an AD retirement at 18.5 years (literally had to withdraw my approved separation package to apply for CIP), especially with CoVID kicking off right when I *would* have retired if I just stuck it out another 1.5 years to hit my 20. 1000% recommend this program to everyone that can get a CJO from their forever airline and stay within the USERRA-protected mil leave limits (5 years from retirement for free-agents, <4 years from ADSC expiration for everyone else).

I never come on here, so if anyone has follow-up questions please visit the FaceBook group "USAF CIP".