Recency of experience

Subscribe
Can anyone address gaps in recency?I’m an AF pilot whose been on staff for about 5 years with no flying. 8,000+ hours. ATP & IP/EP in both C-130 and C-17.
How big a problem?
Quote: Can anyone address gaps in recency?I’m an AF pilot whose been on staff for about 5 years with no flying. 8,000+ hours. ATP & IP/EP in both C-130 and C-17.
How big a problem?
I was in a similar situation with no recent experience when I got back into aviation seven years ago. I would suggest first getting yourself instrument current and then attending one or two job fairs in order to get hired by a regional airline. That should be no problem.

After successfully completing a new-hire training program in a regional jet, and 6-12 months on the line, you would be much more competitive.

Another dynamic is that it frequently takes having a (121) job to get a (121) job.
Recency of Experience
Quote:
Ha! Point made!
Quote: I was in a similar situation with no recent experience when I got back into aviation seven years ago. I would suggest first getting yourself instrument current and then attending one or two job fairs in order to get hired by a regional airline. That should be no problem.

After successfully completing a new-hire training program in a regional jet, and 6-12 months on the line, you would be much more competitive.

Another dynamic is that it frequently takes having a (121) job to get a (121) job.
Thanks for the perspective. Definitely no 121 time
If you go to a 121 regional near your home and work 6 months or so you should qualify for many jobs. Legacies included.
Quote: If you go to a 121 regional near your home and work 6 months or so you should qualify for many jobs. Legacies included.
Prior military. I 100% agree with this. Apply for everything, take the 1st job you get (assuming there is no training contract), then keep your apps out for the job you really want
I agree, go get a job at a regional for a year. Get a BFR to get current, that's probably all you need. If you can fog a mirror you are hired.