Career Advice For Daughter, Navy ROTC NFO

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 4 of 4
Go to
Quote: Interservice transfer to the Air Force, if they'll even give a pilot slot. For the rest of you, the Navy has lots of boats and a few planes, the Air Force has lots of planes, choose wisely.
Guess who has the 2nd largest air force in the world?

The USN.
Quote: Guess who has the 2nd largest air force in the world?

The USN.
We also have a butt ton of helos. In the AF, helos are pretty much volunteer only.
Quote: Retired AF fighter pilot here, who spent plenty of time with Navy and Marine fighter pilots. Most of them wanted to go to the Air Force National guard. I say this as a pilot who’s been doing this for 20 years, choose wisely.
Ha Ha...same here. I've never met an AF fighter pilot that said...."Gee...I wish I had joined the Navy!"
Quote: Guess who has the 2nd largest air force in the world?

The USN.
Guess who has the 1st, seriously? Is this 4th grade?
Quote: Guess who has the 1st, seriously? Is this 4th grade?
You're way to serious. I guess I forgot the big grin emoji.
Quote: Retired AF fighter pilot here, who spent plenty of time with Navy and Marine fighter pilots. Most of them wanted to go to the Air Force National guard. I say this as a pilot who’s been doing this for 20 years, choose wisely.
Operative words being "National Guard".

No brainer for a noob who doesn't aspire to four stars... no surprises on air-frame assignment, and good culture.

I think I'd prefer the navy to the AD AF, at least from a cultural perspective... might rather do a float than put up with some of the stuff I hear about from zoomies.
If she has no commitment, go Guard and never look back.

If she has a commitment, kick butt as an NFO then apply to the Guard or pilot training for any service. Watch out though as the AF (maybe Navy) has a 5 year TAFMS limit to apply for UPT. Waivers (ETPs I think) are out there but wouldn't want to test it.

Quote: I think I'd prefer the navy to the AD AF, at least from a cultural perspective... might rather do a float than put up with some of the stuff I hear about from zoomies.
Not based on what I'm hearing from the Navy/Marines we've recently hired into our Guard squadron (both Hornet guys).
LOL on the USAF is better than Navy schtick.
Get on where you can do what you would like is the goal. (like flying jobs in civilian land). USAF, USMC, USA or USN all have positive elements that favor personality ranging from mission to lifestyle (even inside the service much variance) so pursue dreams. Not the parochial crud offered up by "Im better" as better is very personal.
My assessment:
DD214s from USAF, USMC, USAF and 22 years flying Navy jets, met very few USN fighter pilots that wanted to be USAF fighter pilots. They were attracted to the USN (carrier aviation, bases, whatever)
Many folks at end of obligations with growing families wanted to finish tour and become ANG fighter pilots if anything (like many USAF pilots ) so same draw of talent. Culturally, USN traditionally better oriented to aviators than USAF, though USAF mentality has entered the Navy for mostly the negative IMHO (Speeding up desire to bail to Guard) . It does reduce retention rates though for both USAF and USN. Thus the Guard desirability (More similarly "Navy" ironically in culture)
Final analysis, get on where you can doing what you want to do and dream. You will actually find yourself around fantastic people 99% of the time that could be ideal USAF/USN/USMC fighter pilots or any ilk of aviator/pilot. Just like civilian flying jobs.
Quote: Start applying to every ANG unit in the country (that flies aircraft she is interested in). 2nd choice, AF Reserve.

https://bogidope.com/squadron-job-listing
Doesn’t work like that in the Navy. We don’t do anything like Palace Chase. If she’s on scholarship, they own her.

Grow where you’re planted, be the best window licker she can be and keep applying for a pilot slot.
1  2  3  4 
Page 4 of 4
Go to