Family Travel; UA Discount Basic Economy

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I’m considering booking a ticket on UA using the discount but with the basic economy fare. Any experience?
Quote: I’m considering booking a ticket on UA using the discount but with the basic economy fare. Any experience?
I’ve used it for my wife. It’s no issue. The only thing is that if you have a bag you need to check it at the ticket counter. As employee you still get 2 free checked bags but the carry on baggage restrictions for basic economy still apply
Basic economy sucks. Not worth the savings over standard economy.
Spend the extra $20, it’s worth it.
If you buy basic economy, make sure it is through the United app. If it is through a 3rd party you will not get the free checked bags as an employee
Can you get a refund when you cancel a basic economy ticket within 24h..?
My understanding is yes but not after.
I only buy basic Econ if the flight is on a RJ. Doesn’t matter then as every seat is an aisle or window. Most of the time I end up in an Econ+ seat anyway unless it’s a CR2.
When you buy basic economy you can also pay to choose a seat, it should still be less than the economy price, then the only difference is no carry on bag and zone 5.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Quote: I’ve used it for my wife. It’s no issue. The only thing is that if you have a bag you need to check it at the ticket counter. As employee you still get 2 free checked bags but the carry on baggage restrictions for basic economy still apply
You can still carry on 1 bag and 1 personal item if you are an eligible pass rider. Just did it twice on the 31st and 1st.

Look it up in shares.

GG Basic Economy

Line 181 says:

181 EMPLOYEES USING THE MYUADISCOUNT:
182 ELIGIBLE PASS RIDERS ARE ALLOWED TWO FREE CHECKED BAGS,
183 A FULL-SIZED CARRY-ON BAG AND A PERSONAL ITEM
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to