Notices

Hiring / training

Old 01-08-2021, 06:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: seated - facing forward

Originally Posted by Aero1900 View Post
The difference is the competition.

ATL is home to the fiercest competitor in the industry.

PHX is home to the debt laden, DUI Doug, strugglin' when times are good, AA
And before our new contract we hired quite a few pilots with DUI’s. Maybe call us DUI F9 ? Don’t be hating .
Old 01-08-2021, 09:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA

Originally Posted by madmax757 View Post
And before our new contract we hired quite a few pilots with DUI’s. Maybe call us DUI F9 ? Don’t be hating .
Haha, ok sure.

But they aren't running the company
Old 01-09-2021, 04:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Any recent rumbles on hiring?
Old 01-09-2021, 03:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by StickPig View Post
Any recent rumbles on hiring?

In the recent RGS, the word was fall we will be hiring but as the travel numbers are fluid, so is the hiring expectancy. And bases will be AUS, TPA, and CVG.... word of mouth..
Old 01-09-2021, 03:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Originally Posted by Need a real job View Post
In the recent RGS, the word was fall we will be hiring but as the travel numbers are fluid, so is the hiring expectancy. And bases will be AUS, TPA, and CVG.... word of mouth..
Wasn’t ALPA and the company just in negations on how to start a class before all ELS were brought back? Not saying you didn’t hear what you heard just funny how it changes every day.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014

Personally I don't think we will see any new hires in 2021. Even with new airframe. It's irrelevant if the block hours are not at maximum like pre covid.

Again, i rather be wrong on this one but it's just the gut feeling.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by ULLI View Post
Personally I don't think we will see any new hires in 2021. Even with new airframe. It's irrelevant if the block hours are not at maximum like pre covid.

I think it’s just too early to tell. It all will depend on how fast demand comes back once the vaccines are more prevalent and it flows to more openness of the economy. And no one knows what that will be like yet, purely just cautious optimism right now.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by ULLI View Post

I don’t completely disagree with you since, as you correctly stated, staffing needs are truly a function of block hours, not just how many units of flying aluminum we have on properly. However, remember that hiring and staffing are largely predictive, not reactive to a current environment. With the amount of airplane deliveries coming, Frontier will likely find themselves in a “damned if they do, damned if they don’t” situation. There is no question that leisure travel will come back faster than both business and international travel. While it’s likely that, in 2021, we won’t see total emplanement numbers meet or exceed 2019 numbers, there is a good chance that *leisure* numbers WILL meet, or even exceed (due to pent up demand) 2019 leisure levels come late summer/early fall. Obviously, this is dependent on the vaccine and people not starting to keel over at the one month mark from their injection.

As I said, Frontier is in a tough spot. Remember, we have a lot of deferred deliveries. They are still coming at a later date and, when they do, will only increase the rate that aircraft are coming on property due to the fact that the deferrals will be getting delivered alongside other non-deferred deliveries. Imagine if we didn’t hire anyone this year… That means we wouldn’t have hired a single soul for 2020 deliveries or 2021 deliveries. So, come 2022 we would have to hire, train and upgrade to cover the previous two years of aircraft deliveries as well as the scheduled 2022 deliveries AND deferred deliveries that will be delivered in 2022. That would likely create a training demand that we simply can’t cover.

I would put money that we will at least offer class dates to those previous interviewees who were offered a position, but never a class date. Even putting 100 pilots, and associated upgrades, in the hopper will alleviate some of the training bottleneck in the future as well as staffing shortages if leisure travel comes back at a good clip in the not-too-distant future.
Remember, it wasn’t that many years ago where they hired like gangbusters every spring and then by summer we were “overstaffed” and the company was offering COLAS. Granted, this was under the old contract. Now it would cost them significantly more to have a bunch of first year pilots sitting around, so who knows what the company is going to do. In any case, I'm sure it's a constantly changing metric for the company and it will probably require a strategic balancing act.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: 1900D CA

This isn't worth much, but a LCA told me the other day the latest forecast was 300 new hires in 21.

Seems like too many to me, but that's the most recent thing they've been told...
Old 01-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by Aero1900 View Post
This isn't worth much, but a LCA told me the other day the latest forecast was 300 new hires in 21.

Seems like too many to me, but that's the most recent thing they've been told...
I’d love to believe it, but that seems extraordinarily optimistic. Time will tell. It may be what the training department is being told, but it’s probably an “aim extra high so you can safely fall short” plan.