Atlas 767 went down in Houston

Subscribe
5  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  25  65 
Page 15 of 114
Go to
Quote: If that's true then those descent rates at the end are higher than a Tactical Descent on a C-17 with the thrust reversers out. That can't be a Tstorm... It's still way too early and who knows if any of this stuff is accurate. Witnesses claimed it was in a pretty nose low attitude.
Yeah. Who knows. Something went terribly wrong very quickly. An experienced crew. Not even a mayday call.
Whatever it was it looks like it happened around second 98 with a reversion from a steady descent at -2500fpm to a climb to an uncontrolled dive.
Quote: If that's true then those descent rates at the end are higher than a Tactical Descent on a C-17 with the thrust reversers out. That can't be a Tstorm... It's still way too early and who knows if any of this stuff is accurate. Witnesses claimed it was in a pretty nose low attitude.
I never enjoyed those...What was the limitation, "Do not exceed 20,000 fpm rate of descent"?
Quote: I’m going to have to call bs on those charted numbers.

What’s a “charted number”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi everyone. An Atlas Pilot here. The outpouring of support and kind sentiments on this thread has been beautiful, overwhelming and much appreciated. A lot of us are viewing this thread for that very reason. It offers a sense of calm in the confusion. Please hold off on the speculation. It doesn’t help. Those aviators were our colleagues and friends. And we are all still out here flying these airplanes. Thank you again for all of the support.

Quote: What’s a “charted number”

Numbers on a chart.
Quote: Numbers on a chart.

They are the raw data points broadcast by the airplane, they aren’t opinion, they are what they are

51,000 fpm isn’t logical.
I agree. I don't know if you could reach that if you nosed down and fire walled the throttles.
Quote: They are the raw data points broadcast by the airplane, they aren’t opinion, they are what they are

That stuff isn't official.

51,000 fpm isn’t logical.
The data is integrated from multiple sources and a second's uncertainty in the time between two altitudes can make some wonky numbers.

But it seems clear that something abruptly changed from a normal descent to a VERY abnormal one.

add: 51000 fpm is 510 kts. Seems plausible for straight down.
5  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  25  65 
Page 15 of 114
Go to