FlyExclusive

Subscribe
39  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  59 
Page 49 of 86
Go to
What's the story with FE hiring direct entry captains? I checked out their hiring page out of sheer curiosity and see they have a position open for Captains. I am currently a Citation X PIC. The schedule and QOL, at least on the surface, look similar to what I am doing now. The operator I work for now though has no longer become an end in and of itself.

Also, and I apologize if this has been asked before, how strict are they regarding the requirement to live within 1 hour of an airport with airline service? I live 10 mins from a regional airport that has regional airline service, maybe 4-5 flights a day, but about an hour and a half away from a major hub.
They are still hiring direct entry captains. You can live anywhere. FE is very flexible with basing. Regional airport with airline service is the minimum.
As a direct entry Captain how they choose the airplane you will be assigned to?
Quote: What's the story with FE hiring direct entry captains? I checked out their hiring page out of sheer curiosity and see they have a position open for Captains. I am currently a Citation X PIC. The schedule and QOL, at least on the surface, look similar to what I am doing now. The operator I work for now though has no longer become an end in and of itself.

Also, and I apologize if this has been asked before, how strict are they regarding the requirement to live within 1 hour of an airport with airline service? I live 10 mins from a regional airport that has regional airline service, maybe 4-5 flights a day, but about an hour and a half away from a major hub.
I cant comment on the story about DE Captains (as I am just an FO) but to your second point, they are very flexible. If you are within 1.5 hours of a MAJOR base and you are willing to drive that at the start and end of your rotation, I think that would be fine. However, they also pretty flexible on regional airports. I know many pilots who live near VERY small regional airports without any issues.

I will say, I am VERY happy here. They are a growing company that has a very well communicated vision moving forward. I will be happy if I never have to interview for another pilot job again and I think that may be possible here.
Quote: As a direct entry Captain how they choose the airplane you will be assigned to?

Based on the type rating you hold. If you have a 560 type, you can expect to go to a 560. If you don't hold a type for that is currently in the fleet, your application will likely not be seen by the recruiter. The system will reject it.

However, I have heard guys with high time and a type rating not represented in the fleet apply for SIC positions and get upgraded within a few months. All depends on how they take to the new aircraft.
Thank you. Happy Landings
Hey Clear, PM me and I can check for you..
Quote: First time poster with a question. I’m ATP rated, around 1700hrs, a degree if that counts, a spotless record and a solid resumé. My app has been on file for over a month with no response and I’ve tried reaching out without success. Any idea what the holdup might be? Thanks!
Hey Clear, PM me and I can try to check for you..
Sorry that it took a while to respond..
Quote: Considering a position with FE assuming I get an interview/offered a job. Curious what people like and dislike about the company / 135 life style. Coming from a 121 regional operator that I’ve been commuting to. On paper it makes more sense for me to go to FE rather stick around my regional. Better pay, better incentives, overall better treatment (it seems). Any insight to what I may be missing would be appreciated.

Also curious what the chances of getting to a major are from a 135 operator such as FE. My ultimate goal is wide body transcon flying. I understand the 121/1000 TPIC limitation is all but gone but the stigma still exists amongst my peers and myself. Any insight into that would be very appreciated. Thanks for the info.
Hey Cherokee,

Being former 121 Cargo myself, I tell everyone that I talk to that if your goal is in Part 121, and you already fly for a 121 operator, you might consider staying in Part 121. Also, I tell people that if you are 50 or younger, you need to at least consider a Part 121 job (I’m talking Legacies here..), because Part 121 Legacy pilots have fought for over 90 years to have everything that they have now. The Fractional/Part 135 Charter world is a fairly recent phenomenon, even Netjets, when compared to the pay and benefits that the Legacies offer, so it will take a long time for us to get to their level, if ever. But aside from your better LCC’s, most Regionals and lower tier LCC’s (unless you live in base) will have a hard time matching the pay and QOL that you will enjoy at the Fractionals/Charters. Being home based is amazing, never having to worry about getting to and from work being one of our greatest perks.

The Bottom Line is that everyone, and I mean everyone should at least consider finishing up their career at a Legacy if they can. But if you can’t (or done wan’t to go back like me), you can really have a career outside the Part 121 world that is satisfying, challenging, and lucrative. If you want to take a break from the Regional grinder for a while, and until you are ready to jump directly to a Legacy, give us a try.
True..
Quote: Based on the type rating you hold. If you have a 560 type, you can expect to go to a 560. If you don't hold a type for that is currently in the fleet, your application will likely not be seen by the recruiter. The system will reject it.

However, I have heard guys with high time and a type rating not represented in the fleet apply for SIC positions and get upgraded within a few months. All depends on how they take to the new aircraft.

A good explanation.. If you get hired as a Direct Entry Captain because you have time and experience on that type, then that is the jet that you will be assigned to: That Type Rating and experience is the only reason you are getting that DEC position.

Otherwise, if you come here with with a good bit of jet experience, it is not unusual to upgrade in less than 6 months, again depending on your prior experience
Hey Multi, you should be fine…
Quote: What's the story with FE hiring direct entry captains? I checked out their hiring page out of sheer curiosity and see they have a position open for Captains. I am currently a Citation X PIC. The schedule and QOL, at least on the surface, look similar to what I am doing now. The operator I work for now though has no longer become an end in and of itself.

Hey Multi,

The Company is hiring Direct Entry Captains because of unprecedented growth (and some attrition, I’m sure…).. The Company historically avoided hiring “Street Captains” because they know that promoting from within first is key to morale, and that by hiring Captains off the street, that you are getting an unknown quantity and quality of pilot. But when we start a new fleet (and none of our pilots have types in that fleet) or when we promote Captains in one fleet into a new fleet (earning their current PIC pay in the right seat until they get their required time in type), then we need Direct Entry Captains. Also, it takes Captains to create Captains, and we have SIC’s who don’t have the total time or time in type to upgrade yet.., so thus the need for Direct Entry Captains.

As far as where you can live, no Company that I know of is more permissive about where you can live. I live mostly in ILM and part time in SMF. We have many pilots who commute out of places like DHN, OAJ, PGV, etc, so I can’t imagine that your airport has any less airline service than these do. All of these airports are nowhere near a major hub, so you would be fine.
39  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  59 
Page 49 of 86
Go to