Do both pilots need type ratings for ETOPS?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Do both the CA and FO need to hold a type rating to fly under ETOPS?
I dont know for sure, but for flights that require an IRO everybody must be typed because someone in the pointy end must be PIC qualified.
The answer is no. ETOPS only governs flights beyond a certain distance from land. The type rating requirements cover flights into other countries. The fact that the majority of flights that are under ETOPS are to other countries may have you mixing up these two different things. take a LAX to HNL flight. That can only be done with a 180min authority, and can be done without an IRO because it is under 8 hours. But for example a longer segment on a 777 would require an extra pilot and that flight is most likely also going to be under ETOPS, so in effect this tricks people into thinking that it requires both or mixes them up.

so anyways, the answer is no.
Quote: for flights that require an IRO everybody must be typed because someone in the pointy end must be PIC qualified.
Not true. Only the Capt and IRO must be typed. The FO does not require a type rating.
Most airlines type the Captain and FO so that the FO can perform as an IRO also. (it simplifies scheduling) Some foreign carriers use a cruise pilot which is not a typed position, but just a regular sign off, along with a typed FO and Capt. (cheaper in the sense the cruise pilot is not paid as much)
767ER F/Os at Delta are all type rated, and I think that the domestic 767 F/Os are, as well.
Quote: Not true. Only the Capt and IRO must be typed. The FO does not require a type rating.
So to not have a bidding nightmare companies type all F/O's, FWIW IRO is usually the junior guy. Airlines are being proactive when they type all flight deck crew members.
Quote: Do both the CA and FO need to hold a type rating to fly under ETOPS?
I think you are referring to the new requirement of needing to have a SIC type to fly international. This has nothing to do with ETOPS or IRO requirements. So to answer your question yes both pilots need to be PIC and SIC typed to fly international.

Also ETOPS is only for twin engine aircraft....747s and DC-10s are not ETOPS aircraft. I think you are confusing ETOPS with ICAO rules...I hope this answers your question.
My question was because I know that many airlines that operate with ETOPS type the FO's. My airline is getting ETOPS and I was just curious if they would have to type the FO's. So, Simple answer, NO. Thanks...
Quote: So to not have a bidding nightmare companies type all F/O's, FWIW IRO is usually the junior guy. Airlines are being proactive when they type all flight deck crew members.

Most good companies that are not suffering from an attrition problem. There is a particular non-sched that stopped PIC typing FO's on their MD-11's so that some guys might have to stick around a while.

Don't know how much good it's actually doing, you can still prove that you have heavy/int'l experience without having a PIC type rating on your certificate.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to