Warrant Officer and Reserves

Notices
Military Military Aviation

Warrant Officer and Reserves

Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Default Warrant Officer and Reserves

I'm a pilot with a defense contractor and kinda getting bored of the usual. Looking into the Reserves and more specifically the WO program. From what I gather I can expect 2 years of training before I "hit the line" and could return to my full-time job. Any WO who fly airline/corporate? Perspective of drill/potential active duty and working for primary employer? My employer pays a salary differential for time-away at training, so I'm not taking a financial hit. Any reason not to look down this road?

TIA - IAD145
Old 04-25-2019, 06:24 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Military reserve obligations are rarely a problem at airlines. You're a widget, they know how many reservists they have and they (should) staff accordingly.

In corporate aviation it will be very dependent on the individual employer, influenced by how many pilots they have on staff. More pilots means more flexibility to absorb absences. It will be similar to a white-collar job, in that compatibility with reserve duty depends heavily on your individual job responsibilities.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

I was a WO in the National Guard. As Rickair points out, this is much easier in large companies such as airlines, maybe some larger 91K operations. I never had an issue dropping trips flying 121 if a military obligation interfered.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:36 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Thanks for the information. I'll keep working towards it and see if I can get a slot.