Average time to a major

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hello, what would everyone say seems to be the average time at a regional before getting on with a major like Delta, United, American, Southwest, UPS or Fedex? Of course this will vary by person and could change drastically at any time but just looking for a general average in the current market. Assuming someone was hired by a regional right when turning 21 and already had around 2500TT (when starting at a regional), only failed PPL check ride, has a B.S degree. (no minority, average white male)
Quote: Hello, what would everyone say seems to be the average time at a regional before getting on with a major like Delta, United, American, Southwest, UPS or Fedex? Of course this will vary by person and could change drastically at any time but just looking for a general average in the current market. Assuming someone was hired by a regional right when turning 21 and already had around 2500TT, only failed PPL check ride, has a B.S degree. (no minority, average white male)
Somewhere between 1,000-9,999,999TT
Seriously, you are a bit low.

What I see here is around 4,000 - 5,000 hours total as an average. (Assuming civilian and standard 121 experience.) Still wide variety, particularly on the upper end.

This assumes the standard BS/BA degree, volunteer, no skeletons. Still some for some other reason do not get the call. A few with fewer hours.

This is not to be confused with a guarantee of a CJO from me. Ymmv

Fill out and submit, regardless. No cost, on the outside chance it might happen early. Keep updating.
5,000 TT seems to be about average for civilian but there a regionals with direct flow. The flow seems to be about 5-10 years and nothing stops you from going to a different legacy airline sooner, before your number flows.
Quote: Hello, what would everyone say seems to be the average time at a regional before getting on with a major like Delta, United, American, Southwest, UPS or Fedex? Of course this will vary by person and could change drastically at any time but just looking for a general average in the current market. Assuming someone was hired by a regional right when turning 21 and already had around 2500TT (when starting at a regional), only failed PPL check ride, has a B.S degree. (no minority, average white male)
Start applying to the majors as soon as you are flying the line at a regional. You can get lucky and get picked up at a major by the time you are 25 if not sooner.
In my experience in aviation, it has benefited me to progress in my career with the mindset that there are no shortcuts.
Quote: Start applying to the majors as soon as you are flying the line at a regional. You can get lucky and get picked up at a major by the time you are 25 if not sooner.
You won't even be looked at until you get close to the published minimums. Every major airline requires 1000 turbine. Apply when you start getting close to that number
Quote: You won't even be looked at until you get close to the published minimums. Every major airline requires 1000 turbine. Apply when you start getting close to that number
That's not true. Some application scoring looks at how long your file has been active.
Quote: You won't even be looked at until you get close to the published minimums. Every major airline requires 1000 turbine. Apply when you start getting close to that number
What’s your angle? Is there a reason you keep pushing everyone to wait to apply? Do you believe it hurts their chances to apply sooner? Are you a firm believer in the powers of procrastination? I don’t get why you feel the need to put your opinion out as a fact without any basis to back it up. Maybe provide some type of factual information or try wording your post as the opinion it is.
Have no answer for the OP, but I applied everywhere I could as soon as I started at CP and update my hours weekly. As I hit the required numbers for other places, in order to apply, I'm doing that as able. No reason not to as far as I know. Still don't have my 1000 121 time yet, but if I don't apply I'm 100% guaranteed not to get a call.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to