Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
Application Timing / Total Hours >

Application Timing / Total Hours

Search
Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Application Timing / Total Hours

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 03:44 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2018
Default Application Timing / Total Hours

I've heard that completing your application takes a significant amount of time. Is it something that I could start working on now and not hit the "submit" button (if there is such a thing)? I won't get my ATP until August and then I'll retire from active duty next Spring. I'd like to be able to submit my application ASAP after I complete my ATP and I don't want to delay that process - but at the same time, I don't want to submit an application without having completed my ATP.

Also, if I'm still actively flying, do I just pick a cut-off date for my total hours since I'll still be flying after submitting my application? Do I have to keep updating the applications every week/month with additional hours flown?
Old 05-12-2019, 04:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by Tsmith129 View Post
I've heard that completing your application takes a significant amount of time. Is it something that I could start working on now and not hit the "submit" button (if there is such a thing)? I won't get my ATP until August and then I'll retire from active duty next Spring. I'd like to be able to submit my application ASAP after I complete my ATP and I don't want to delay that process - but at the same time, I don't want to submit an application without having completed my ATP.

Also, if I'm still actively flying, do I just pick a cut-off date for my total hours since I'll still be flying after submitting my application? Do I have to keep updating the applications every week/month with additional hours flown?

Yes, I believe the Airline Apps (UA/DL) and the Pilot Credentials (AA/FDX/SWA) sites have the ability to publish the app at will. I wouldn’t fill out apps for UPS, SWA, jetBlue, or Spirit on their career pages though as I don’t think they have this function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 05:09 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Yes, those two you can build in advance.

Be careful when you publish though, make sure it's complete and accurate, I'm pretty sure there's no way to "unpublish" the application.

You can edit it, and if needed change your availability date to the future if something changes. But assume that anything you published in the past will be available to the employer for their reference, even if you change it later.